New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Compatibility of Hard drive with heavy duty usage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheIdiots

TheIdiots is on a distinguished road

Hi. I have a Hard Drive which was formatted on Windows as FAT32. This presents no issue as I can transfer files between both Mac and windows. The biggest problem is that I want to transfer disk image files over 4g (about 6-7gb) to the hard drive as backup. With the FAT32 format I can't. To use any of the other formats through which I am allowed to transfer big files I lose the usage on windows which is something I can't afford seeing as I have to sync between laptop and university desktops. Is there a way to do this? I've read on other posts that I can partition the USB. I did but didn't understand what happened. I uploaded on my Mac some files and then when I went to windows it told me I have to format it to use it. Can anyone explain this please? Thanks.
p.s. it was partitioned as mac os extended
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Newer versions of Windows use the NTFS filesystem. Mac OS X supports NTFS, but in read only mode. There are a number of different ways to address this:

1. Format the drive as NTFS on Windows. Then, install a driver on the Mac that can read and write to NTFS.

There's a few different options -

* Snow Leopard (10.6) has experimental support for NTFS write functionality, but you need to run a Terminal command to enable it - currently it's unsupported, so you run the risk of data loss.

* You can purchase Paragon NTFS for Mac, which does a great job with NTFS, it also contains a driver for Boot Camp so that you can read/write to your Mac-formatted drives using HFS+ on Windows. Very handy.

* You can try the free NTFS 3G with MacFUSE, but I'm told that this can be kludgy too.

2. You can format the drive HFS+ ("Mac OS X Extended" in Disk Utility) and use MacDrive on Windows to read/write to the disk.

3. If the two machines are setup on a network, you can use file sharing to bypass the hard drive altogether and just transfer over the network.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TheIdiots

TheIdiots is on a distinguished road

First off, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Newer versions of Windows use the NTFS filesystem. Mac OS X supports NTFS, but in read only mode. There are a number of different ways to address this:

1. Format the drive as NTFS on Windows. Then, install a driver on the Mac that can read and write to NTFS.
Like which driver?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIdiots View Post
First off, thanks.

Like which driver?
I do believe he covered all the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post

There's a few different options -

* Snow Leopard (10.6) has experimental support for NTFS write functionality, but you need to run a Terminal command to enable it - currently it's unsupported, so you run the risk of data loss.

* You can purchase Paragon NTFS for Mac, which does a great job with NTFS, it also contains a driver for Boot Camp so that you can read/write to your Mac-formatted drives using HFS+ on Windows. Very handy.

* You can try the free NTFS 3G with MacFUSE, but I'm told that this can be kludgy too.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transfer Mac Files to Windows XP | Possible to use existing NAS with MAC in a Windows environment? »