New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

low quality picture with Samsung LCD connected to Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

claytonmac2009

claytonmac2009 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 250 GB H.D., 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Time Capsule

I received a 23" Samsung 2333HD TV/Monitor. I have it hooked up to my 15" Macbook Pro but the picture quality is not even close to what the MBP screen shows. I have them hooked up together with mini-DV to DVI adaptor to a DVI/HDMI cable then into the HDMI input on the Samsung. I have tried all of the different resolution settings and input mode settings but it is just not getting a good enough picture. Mostly it's just not very sharp. Increasing the sharpness setting on the Samsung just makes it grainy and causes a halo effect aroung the text and icons. Technical support at the Apple store told me this is the same way their monitors are hooked up and all is great. Any suggestions?

Claytonmac2009

If found please return to Photoshop
QUOTE Thanks
claytonmac2009

Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 250 GB H.D., 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Time Capsule

OK, now. Through trial and error I figured out that not only must I select which input my laptop is hooked up to (HDMI-1) but I must also tell the input what it's connected to by selecting PC mode. That took care of the grain and halo effects. I then had to change the resolution setting to match the verticle setting of my laptop at 900. This only gave me a picture on part of the screen of the monitor. But by checking the overscan box it filled the whole screen. I used the calibrating tool built into my Macbook to get the colors, gama, white point and tone just like I like it. Everything looks great now except the picture is soft. And unfortunatly by selecting the PC mode my sharpening options are grayed out. What now???

Claytonmac2009

QUOTE Thanks
claytonmac2009

Well, if anybody out there has this same monitor and the same problem then here is the answer: Use the DVI input, don't use the HDMI when hooked up to a computer or laptop. I don't know why the picture is soft using HDMI this way but the picture is perfect and exactly matches the screen on my Macbook Pro when using the DVI input. Just a note: this monitor does get a great picture when hooked up to a cable box through HDMI.
I hope this helps someone out there...

Claytonmac2009

QUOTE Thanks
tlmusic

tlmusic is on a distinguished road

Thank you! There was someone out there who was helped by your efforts!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mighty mouse | External CD Drive for Ripping CD's - need Recommendations »