New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External Monitor Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kitjv

kitjv is on a distinguished road

I plan to buy a third-party 22" - 24" external monitor to connect to my MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 4Gb RAM (late 2007) for image processing. Are there any compatibility issues (between a 3rd-party monitor & my MacBook Pro) of which I need to be aware?

Thank you for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

i used the Philips 200W on MBP of similar spec because it had built in speakers and did support for 1680 x 1050 but never got into colour profiles and such like.
Which ever brand just check the resolution specs match for the one you plan on using.

Click for full size
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitjv View Post
I plan to buy a third-party 22" - 24" external monitor to connect to my MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 4Gb RAM (late 2007) for image processing. Are there any compatibility issues (between a 3rd-party monitor & my MacBook Pro) of which I need to be aware?

Thank you for your help.
You shouldn't have any problems. You may need an adapter to go from the ports on your MacBook Pro to the cable from the external monitor.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have used at least two different third-party monitors with my 2008 MacBook Pro with no problem. The current one is a 24" Samsung but I have also used a 17" Gateway. Many of the monitors support both DVI and VGA but if you have to choose one or the other I would go with DVI.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I also use a 2nd monitor with my laptop when I'm at home. No issues.

I've been pleased with BenQ models over the years, but other brands can be very good as well. I tend to stay away from LG.
QUOTE Thanks
kitjv

Thank you very much.

One follow-up question: Is it important that the aspect ratio of the external display match that of my MacBook Pro?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Thank you very much.

One follow-up question: Is it important that the aspect ratio of the external display match that of my MacBook Pro?
It doesn't matter (4:3 or 16:9). Either will work fine.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

My current external monitor is 16:9 which I believe is the aspect ratio of the MacBook Pro. The Gateway monitor that I mentioned earlier was 4:3

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
kitjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
My current external monitor is 16:9 which I believe is the aspect ratio of the MacBook Pro. The Gateway monitor that I mentioned earlier was 4:3
The MacBook Pro is 16:10. Now that I think of it....if I plan to use the 2 monitors in the "extended desktop" mode, wouldn't different aspect ratios (i.e. native resolutions) be irrelevant?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Moved to more appropriate forum.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
The MacBook Pro is 16:10. Now that I think of it....if I plan to use the 2 monitors in the "extended desktop" mode, wouldn't different aspect ratios (i.e. native resolutions) be irrelevant?
I use a ViewSonic external monitor sometimes and it's a 4:3 aspect ratio. The ratio really doesn't matter much but it is nice to have it the same if you use the external monitor as a replacement to the built-in screen since everything like floating menus, wallpaper, the size of the windows if full screen, etc will be the the same position and size.

It's not too much of a problem if you are using the external monitor like you are as additional monitors. I do that sometimes but I force myself to get used to one monitor because I'm not always at my desk with my laptop. I just use Expose, Spaces, and Alt Tab to go back and forth between applications.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Low Resolution External Monitor (Samsung HDTV) | Laser Printer Recommendations »