New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Accessing OSX RAID on PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xcaliber

xcaliber is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 5.1, 2.66 gHz, 4gb ddr3, 9600m gt/9400m

So heres the issue. I have a 2 - 1TB hard drives in an external raid enclosure. they are mirrored and i did so through OSX. The problem is that I want to be able to use this back up drive on my pc tower which I recently installed windows 7 ultimate x64. I can see the hard drives when i go to disk management, but it shows them individually and I can not access them. I assume it has something to do with incompatibility between OSXs raid setup and windows. I did some research and installed MacDrive 8, but I still can not access the drives. I know this may air more on the Windows side of the forums, but I was hoping someone on the Mac side of things would have some insight. Any ideas or tips would be helpful.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

I am no expert in RAID setups, as I am barely gonna start interacting with them in early February (Thanks to Uncle Sam). Anyways, I think that most likely since you set them up with a Mac, you use HFS journaled, which to my knowledge, Windows doesnt play well with this file format. Dont hold me to this.

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks
xcaliber

yea youre right it is a journaled. unfortunately i think the real problem is that i setup the raid through OSX. since its a software raid im afraid that is going to mean formatting it differently to get them to play nicely. i was hoping for some other options. i do a lot of video editing so formatting in FAT is out due to the 4gb file limit. im really hoping theres a piece of software i can use in windows that will make the raid play nice. thanks for the suggestions though rz.
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

No problem, glad I can help. I have heard of Windows software thats able to read HFS Journaled drives, but at the same time I've heard bad things about them, as in not recommended.

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks
xcaliber

ok so i have tried MacDrive 8, HFSExplorer, and TransMac...I can actually see the files and such with HFSExplorer, but it is a read only app. TransMac and MacDrive supposedly give me read/write capabilities, but they are not working. I can see both drives(which are according to windows "online" and working fine) and all partitions in Disk Management in Windows, but they do not show up under my computer.

I also have Ubuntu installed on my pc. When I connect the drive in that I can actually see and browse both drives but when I try to copy things to them it says I do not have permission. I check the permissions and it says it can not read the permissions. I connected it to my mbp again and checked the permissions and everything is set to read/write. I am at my wits end with this guys. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why does my external HD have 2 USB connectors? | G Drive External cashes Desktop »