New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Backing up photos... can I delete them now?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

esman7

esman7 is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so please go easy as I couldn't find the answer to my question already!

I just purchased an external hard drive and partitioned it into 2 x 250GB partitions.

I set one partition to Time Machine and it backed everything up OK, about 100GB worth.

The thing is, can I delete my photos on my Macbook Pro now? Or is Time Machine just as a backup... in case anything happens...?

I have a ton of RAW images (10MB each) that I want to simply transfer to the external HD and delete off my comp to make more room, but do I need to do this onto the other partition or will Time Machine throw a hissy-fit and try to restore the photos that I deleted (and backed up on another drive)???

Thanks, just a bit confused.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

it is just as you say, Time Machine is a back up just in case anything happens.

QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by esman7 View Post
The thing is, can I delete my photos on my Macbook Pro now? Or is Time Machine just as a backup... in case anything happens...?
Time Machine is a backup not a storage for your data. What I mean by this is that a backup is suppose to be a copy of your data so if something happened then you can restore them back to your computer. If you want to permanently move your data to another hard drive then it becomes storage rather than a backup because you no longer have a second copy of your files. It's the only copy.

Time Machine doesn't permanently keep all the files you have deleted on your computer. It takes "snapshots" of all the data that is currently on your computer and it keeps several days worth of previous snapshots hence the name Time Machine. The problem is that once is starts to fill up the hard drive it will start deleting old snapshots in the timeline to make room for new ones so your photos that are no longer on your computer will be deleted.

Time Machine is better used for restoring your computer back to its current state or a previous one and not used as a storage hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esman7 View Post
I have a ton of RAW images (10MB each) that I want to simply transfer to the external HD and delete off my comp to make more room, but do I need to do this onto the other partition or will Time Machine throw a hissy-fit and try to restore the photos that I deleted (and backed up on another drive)???
If you want a storage hard drive to transfer your data to so that your computer's hard drive doesn't become full then don't use Time Machine for that purpose. For example, you can have two hard drives. One for Time Machine and one for usage as a storage hard drive and then backup that storage data on DVDs or another hard drive.

Since your external hard drive is partitioned then one side can be used for Time Machine while the other is used as a storage area. Make sure to backup your storage data because if your external hard drive dies then you will most likely lose both partitions.

You should always have a backup of your computer so having Time Machine is good. Your problem is that you also want a storage hard drive so just do what I said above and you should be good also.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

My suggestion is, back up all your RAW files to dvd's as well as the external. A friend of mine has her files on a Ext as well as on dvd's just in case for some ungodly reason hte Mac HD and her external both kick the bucket.
She just backs up all her RAW on a ext and then burns them to DVD's as well then trashes all on her Mac.
You just cant be too careful as nothing id failsafe. Yes you might end up with a few DVD's but the price of buying a hundred bulk is chicken feed compared to paying someone for Data Recovery.
Oh and she uses TM to do the backups and for her thats her STORAGE

cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
She just backs up all her RAW on a ext and then burns them to DVD's as well then trashes all on her Mac.
Oh and she uses TM to do the backups and for her thats her STORAGE
If she is deleting files on your computer then it's good that she's making DVD backups as well because once TM deletes its older timeline recovery dates basically the day that she deleted her images on her computer then her DVD backups becomes her only copy of her images.

I agree that redundant backup is a good idea since no backup system is perfect. People just need to realize that if they only have one copy of their data then they don't have a backup system. TM is considered a backup because it makes a copy of your computer's hard drive. In other words whenever a person deletes or makes changes to their computer then TM will eventually copy those changes for better or worst even if their files become corrupted. The nice thing about TM is that it will allow a person to restore or recover data from a previous date up to a point though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disable all built-in hardware (ie. laptop keyboard and trackpad) for prank | Bluetooth keyboard and mouse »