New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Hard drive for OS 10.3.9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dori@Copy-Rite

Dori@Copy-Rite is on a distinguished road

Bought a Seagate FreeAgent Desk external drive for backup but, it turns out, can't use it on my Mac running OS10.3.9. Can't update the software because I only have 512KB memory and (I think) don't have an Intel processor. Specs:

Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512KB
Memory: 512MB
Bus Speed: 900 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.2f2

Further, I believe I have a cd drive, not dvd, which would also prevent me from installing newer OS.

Questions:
Can I update the OS, given the above? And, failing that, can one recommend an external drive (Seagate preferred) that will work with the older OS?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

10.3 should support that drive. What is the problem? Does it show up in Disk Utility when you connect it?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Also, a G5 would have come with a DVD drive

Power Macintosh G5 1.8 DP (PCI) Specs (Mid-2004, M9454LL/A, A1047, PowerMac7,3) @ EveryMac.com

Upgrading the ram would be inexpensive and you could then ude OSX 10.5 Leopard on that G5

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Dori@Copy-Rite

Well, I did not even open the box, as it says on it that a requirement for its use is OS 10.4.9 or later. And, yes, I suppose adding memory is an option. thanks for setting me straight regarding the dvd drive!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

That's most likely a requirement of the backup software that accompanies the drive. No biggie, you probably don't want to use that anyway.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Dori@Copy-Rite

Well, I opened the box and plugged it in, after calling Seagate and being told that, if I was just using it for storage, the OS problem did not matter and that the machine would recognize it. Plugged it in and got this: "You have inserted a disk containing volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click ingnore." I did that and nothing happened. Any help out there?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dori@Copy-Rite View Post
Well, I opened the box and plugged it in, after calling Seagate and being told that, if I was just using it for storage, the OS problem did not matter and that the machine would recognize it. Plugged it in and got this: "You have inserted a disk containing volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click ingnore." I did that and nothing happened. Any help out there?
Well it seems you can use the disk, but surely you need to decide on the end point and work from there.
1/ Upgrade ram - Yes or No
2/ Later OS - Tiger or Leopard - Yes or No

RAM seems those G5s came with 2 x 128 ram units - you have 512 so that is either 2 x 256 or one 512 - Check System Profiler/Memory to see what u have.
Apple/AboutThis Mac/More Info/Memory.
then if you decide on that then you can decide on OS, then decide on back up plan.
QUOTE Thanks
Dori@Copy-Rite

Can't upgrade OS as processor isn't Intel, a requirement for Tiger or Leopard. Just want it to recognize the disk, so I can use it for storage/backup.
QUOTE Thanks
kb2ehj

kb2ehj is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 Mini's (1.83(2GB ram/320GB HDD & 2.26 GHz 2GB ram/160GB HDD))

Quote:
Can't upgrade OS as processor isn't Intel, a requirement for Tiger or Leopard. Just want it to recognize the disk, so I can use it for storage/backup.
That is not correct.

Leopard (10.5.x) will support a G5
Summary

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard requires:

* A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
* 512 MB memory or more
* A DVD drive for installation
* 9 GB of available disk space or more
* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider, fees may apply.
* Some features require Apple's MobileMe service; fees apply.

Please know the requirements before posting something like that.

PS That is a direct cut and paste from the apple web site.
QUOTE Thanks
kb2ehj

Is this FreeAgent the MAC or PC version?

PC version might need to be reformatted before it can be used.

Do you plan on using it with both a PC and a MAC or just on the MAC?

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Dori@Copy-Rite

It is a Seagate Mac version. If I was incorrect on the requirements of upgrading my software, I humbly apologize. I've been looking at a lot of information, in order to solve this problem. I'll be honest with you, I can't even find Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard in the Store on their website, only Snow Leopard 10.6. Third party sites do have Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, but it's $180. and I can't ask my boss to do that.
QUOTE Thanks
kb2ehj

Quote:
It is a Seagate Mac version. If I was incorrect on the requirements of upgrading my software, I humbly apologize. I've been looking at a lot of information, in order to solve this problem. I'll be honest with you, I can't even find Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard in the Store on their website, only Snow Leopard 10.6. Third party sites do have Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, but it's $180. and I can't ask my boss to do that.
Ok good the MAC version will play nicely with the MAC (obviously).

Requirments mix up is ok, I myself get overly excited at times. In all honesty I should have not posted something like that. I'm sorry also.

Yeah you won't be able to find Leopard at the Apple site or stores, as soon as SL came out, Leopard disappeared.

You might be able to find a 'used' copy on ebay or craigslist.
QUOTE Thanks
kb2ehj

Quote:
Ok good the MAC version will play nicely with the MAC (obviously).

Requirments mix up is ok, I myself get overly excited at times. In all honesty I should have not posted something like that. I'm sorry also.

Yeah you won't be able to find Leopard at the Apple site or stores, as soon as SL came out, Leopard disappeared.

You might be able to find a 'used' copy on ebay or craigslist.
QUOTE Thanks
Dori@Copy-Rite

Can a "used" copy be safely installed?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

You need a Retail version of 10.4 or 10.5. A Gray machine specific DVD will not work. You can find them on Ebay but be sure it's a full Retail version.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to make your own iPhone Ringtone with iPhone Ringtone maker(for Windows/Mac) | How to connect Sony DAV-DZ530 5.1 surround speakers to Mac Book pro??? »