New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Gps Garmin vs Magellan vs Tom Tom

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

noobie-353

noobie-353 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20'' IMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM

If there'S already a thread about this' I didn't find it. I'm looking to buy a gps and wonder which is the best choice. I don't think I'll need one of the $500 or $600 models but not necessarily the cheapest either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

I prefer the garmin over the others. To me, they are easier to use but this is just my opinion.

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
Number6

Number6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)

The Google Maps Navigation feature on the Motorola Droid (Verizon) has saved my rear more than once. True, you have to pay for the unit and a data plan, but since I needed to update my phone anyway, combining the two devices (a GPS and a phone) in one made sense for me. Plus, since Google Maps/Navigation are distributed with (or as part of) Android 2.x, any updates are automatically pushed to the unit.

I've seen some reports of location problems with Google Nav, but with the GPS service turned on, my Droid can place me in different rooms of my house! Seems very accurate to me.

-----------------
Be Seeing You.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Get whichever has the best technology out...

I prefer the Tom Tom, as I currently own two. I also own a Garmin, but I do not use it that often.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Garmin has the best mapping in the industry and I own one BUT the Navigon app on the iPhone is what I use now...it's great!

QUOTE Thanks
MacPro.dB

MacPro.dB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.66GHz Quad-Core 8GB, Radeon 4870 * MacBook Pro 17" 3.06 Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram * 64GB 3G iPad

I've owned Tom Tom and now have a Garmin. As a commuter, the FREE FM traffic lifetime capability from Garmin was the deciding factor between a Tom Tom live 740 and the Garmin 765T that I ended up buying. The bluetooth speakerphone capability on both also is great with the new laws we have in my corner of the world.

I haven't tried phone app software but feel that a stand alone unit saves my already power starved iPhone 3G. These are my thoughts, good luck!!
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

+1 for Garmin

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
zseese

zseese is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4

I have a cheap Garmin and the TomTom iPhone car kit setup and they both work fine for navigation, I have no problems with either one, but since I have gotten used to the different menus, I kind of prefer the TomTom(but its just the iPhone app so I do not know how it compares to the actual TomTom) but dont think you could go wrong either way

Yup, Yup, Yup, Mm-Hmm
QUOTE Thanks
noobie-353

noobie-353 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20'' IMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM

Thanks for the responses. It's a fairly small sampling, but seems fo favor Garmin over Tom Tom by about 2 to 1. No mention at all of Magellan. Interesting.Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

As I said, Garmin has the best mapping in the industry. That's the one I'd buy if my Navigon iPhone app didn't work...

QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i have a very cheap garmin so this is what i think of my cheap garmin. i love it!!! the only thing i do not like is that it does not have a qwerty keypad. i do not know if the more expensive models have them or not.

QUOTE Thanks
GregBrannon

GregBrannon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz 768 MB OS X 10.5.8

I also have a cheap Garmin, an early Nuvi model, and agree that it would be more friendly with a QWERTY keyboard. I've taken it with me on travel from Hawaii to Florida and north to Minnesota, and it has been the best traveling companion. Another downside, however, is the cost of map upgrades. I can't compare Garmin's cost to others, but my last upgrade made 2 years ago cost $65, and it's a one-use deal. To avoid paying for new maps, I now use Google Maps on my Blackberry to find new restaurants and places of interest then use my Nuvi to navigate me there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy, and let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I bought a mid-range TomTom One for my in-laws last year and it was by far the clunkiest, most poorly designed GPS I've ever laid hands on, backed by horrid "customer service" (if you can call it that).

I have a Magellan Maestro 4200 that I picked up a few years ago on Woot.com for a good price. It has been perfect. Easy to use, picks up and maintains signal with no fuss and it's easy to upgrade the maps (although the software is Windows-only).

I bought my in-laws a Magellan RoadMate (not sure of the model) to replace the POS TomTom that I returned to Amazon and that has been likewise perfect for them. They haven't even needed any technical support, which is a big bonus for me.

I haven't owned any Garmin products, but people seem to love them as well. I would just advise you to steer clear of anything made by TomTom.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Received a Garmin Nuvi 255W for Christmas (gift from my brother in law) and it works great. It included one free map download (large download of 2.3 GB) which was nice. It also includes software for the Mac. A definite plus.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV - Not what I expected. Am I doing it wrong? | Vestax Spin DJ »