New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

can't find the right cable for my ext. hard drive...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jshields

jshields is on a distinguished road

I bought a new Macbook recently, and was hoping to transfer information from an external hard drive I purchased 3 years back. I used this hard drive to back up my ibook G4.
My problem is, the ext. hard drive and my old ibook connected with a 6pin to 6pin firewire cable, but now that Macbooks do not feature a firewire port, i am looking for a cable I can use with USB. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I tried looking for the specific cable I think I need, but with no luck. Can anyone suggest a specific cable and adapter combo I might be able to use??
Thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you are looking for a Firewire to USB cable I don't think there is such a beast. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong. If the iBook can boot it;s probably easiest to connect the teo computers by ethernet cable, enable file sharing on both machines, and pass the files that way.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
jshields

Unfortunately, my ibook is pretty much dead, otherwise good suggestion. All of my original files are stored on the ext. hard drive and I'd like to have them on my new Macbook.
So something like this wouldn't work?:USB to IEEE 1394 Firewire + 6 Adapters Cable Travel SET - eBay (item 120516444794 end time Jan-11-10 17:46:50 PST)
Very tech-challenged, as you might be able to tell.
Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What is the brand and model of your external? I know there were some externals with just a Firewire port but most have a USB port also.

If worst comes down to worst, purchase a cheap external enclosure with USB 2.0 and put the drive in it. Be sure you check your drive in the other external's case and see if it's IDE or SATA before you get that new case.

I would suggest one of the many cables out there for testing hard drives externally, but I am sure you want to keep your external drive and continue using it with your new machine.

These are nice for testing drives without ripping open a machine.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/U2NV2SPATA/
QUOTE Thanks
jshields

It is a Lacie mini FW HD, only firewire available. Bought it in '06.
Why, oh why did they remove the firewire port from the newer macs?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If I told you why a lot of people might be upset so I will refrain. I feel the way you do and so do many others. They could have put in a Firewire 800 port like the 13" MBP as there adapters from FW 400-800.

I was going to purchase that same drive you own but did not thinking the USB port might also come in handy down the road.
QUOTE Thanks
jshields

And to boot, it was a Mac employee who encouraged me to buy this particular brand and model in the first place.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

oops missed dtravis7 response,
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multi-function printer that works with Snow Leopard? | Microsoft keyboards on a Mac? »