New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

hard drive problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blind_30

blind_30 is on a distinguished road

alright so my friend is new to macs and didn't know how to format hard drives so he got me to do it for him.
This hard drive was formatted for windows so i formatted to the mac os extended (journaled) which worked fine.
I put the files from his HD to mine but when i returned them to his newly formatted hard drive it said they couldn't be read.
Utility disk said the disk needed to be repaired but i cannot unmount the disk, i understand that nothing from the hard drive can be running to unmount it but how do i know if something is? I had only the finder and disk utility open. Throw some tips and things to try, thanks

Macbook 2,1- 2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo processor 4gb ram running mac osx 10.6.2
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Your friend (or you) need to Boot from his OS Install disk, and then run Disk Utilities to repair permissions, and the newly-formatted hard drive.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
blind_30

ok i booted from the os disk and when i try to repair or erase the external hd it is saying operation could not be completed, cannot allocate memory. What does this mean? it sounds bad to me, i have never seen this before

QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_30 View Post
I put the files from his HD to mine but when i returned them to his newly formatted hard drive it said they couldn't be read.
How did u do that?
QUOTE Thanks
blind_30

i just dragged them over to mine because it wasn't much, it works fine on mine

QUOTE Thanks
blind_30

does anybody have any ideas of what might be going on

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

'Cannot allocate memory' is to do with the way in which a hard drive is set out when formatted. It appears also in reference to connection with remote servers. All of which doesn't help your situation.

What's important is HOW you formatted the hard drive. Let's be clear - it's an internal hard drive ... right? ... and you formatted it HFS+ (journaled) so your friend's Mac could boot from it. If that is the case, then what you say about it "sounding bad" may be right.

All I can suggest at this stage is another attempt to format the drive. If it again fails, I suspect there is a serious fault with the drive itself, and it may need replacement if you cannot get Disk Utilities to repair it.

There is one other option - expensive - and that is Disk Warrior. It does more, and better, than Apple Disk Utilities. For its cost (about US$100) you might be better to take the computer to a tech who has DW to use. I don't know what that might cost.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
blind_30

this is actually just his external drive.... he had it formatted for windows and needed it formatted for his new macbook... i cant format the disk, it says it needs to be repaired first. Im going to go to an expert to try and solve this problem i think, thanks for the help though

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_30 View Post
this is actually just his external drive.... he had it formatted for windows and needed it formatted for his new macbook... i cant format the disk, it says it needs to be repaired first. Im going to go to an expert to try and solve this problem i think, thanks for the help though
Good luck on going to an expert to solve the problem. You're probably dealing with a defective drive. Since it was previously formatted for Windows (NTFS or FAT-32) and you then reformatted it as HFS + and subsequently moved files back and forth - and then the drive failed. I'm guessing your friend is going to need a new drive.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I use Journaled or Regular on my HD? | Can't Transfer My Data from USB HDD? »