New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

TV synthesiser for Mac Book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

U-WUS

U-WUS is on a distinguished road

Newbie question here.
We bought a Macbook for our daughter for Christmas as well as an EyeTV synthesiser.
We then found that the EyeTV won't work on chanel 36 for another signal (in this case a games console).
As we can still return the EyeTV synthesiser, is there anything that we can get that will do the job required? Is it possible to get the EyeTV to work with the console?
TIA
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not sure what device you have as ElGato has no piece of hardware called "EyeTV synthesizer".

The better EyeTV devices that have hardware decoding built in will basically be useless for any gaming console. There will be too much lag introduced. The EyeTV Hybrid can be used with some caveats.

You'll probably find many more knowledgeable folks at the ElGato forums as to specifics.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
U-WUS

U-WUS is on a distinguished road

Sorry.
the device is the eyetv for DTT. It was mis-sold and I'm not very happy about it.
Are the elgato tuners the only ones worth getting?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There are quite a few companies producing TV Tuner cards for the Mac now. But, that is what they are all geared toward, TV capture and DVR use. ElGato was one of the first and is still probably the most respected of the lot on the Mac side of the equation. Although, I'd wager there are several very good ones. Many of those others still recommend ElGato's software with their device.

I have never seen a video capture card from any manufacturer list hooking up a gaming console as one the features/highlights of the card. Don't care which operating system you're talking about.

Due to the lag that is going to be introduced in almost all TV tuners/capture cards, if you want a device for connecting a gaming console rather than a TV Tuner, I'd recommend getting a 17" monitor instead. You can pick up an inexpensive monitor for $80-$120 vs the $100-$250 for the better TV tuners on the market.

If you require a TV capture and gaming capture card, it's probably time to start doing some research, check out the forums of a few different brands to see which ones people are using that still maintain a playable game.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card | External HD trouble??? »