Firewire or USB 2.0 for external burn drive on G4 tower?
    Dropped a USB 2.0 card into my G4 tower (with Tiger) and i'm running an external dvd burner with it. Would I be better off with the built in firewire connection? It's old and I don't know how speed works with those things.

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Yes, Firewire (400 or 800) will give you batter performance that USB 2 for ripping/buring from that peripheral.

Specs:
    nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
    Firewire is a much better connection, faster I/O throughput compared to USB2 - even though FW400 its theoretically 80Mb/s slower...

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    And in the event you lose the built in DVD/CD Reader, the Firewire optical drive will be bootable.

Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Have the best of both worlds and get a combo firewire/usb enclosure. One other nice thing about firewire too is that it facilitates daisy-chaining, and you can have numerous (27 I think) external devices linked together through to your Mac.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

The external drive I got has two firewire ports and a 2.0 port on the back. I picked it up cause it had a big MAC sticker on it. Seems to be working well both ways now. I've only been hooking up either/or and know nothing about daisy chaining. If there's a cool trick or two i'm missing i'd love to hear about it.

Sort of unrelated, but will firewire bypass the issues i've been having with the computer sleeping and the 2.0 PCI card? The only solution i've found is to unplug everything, but it's a hassle.

Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    I have three optical drives daisy-chained by firewire, toggling between them is fun.

The PCI card-sleep issue is confined to USB only, no worries with firewire, since it's native to the motherboard in the G4.

Re your combo enclosure, for some mysterious reason, firewire occasionally goes awol. USB is a good back up in that event. A pointer I learned - don't have both USB and firewire cables connected at the same time, it's one or the other.

If F'wire does happen to go missing in action, unplug the power to your enclosure completely and find something else to do. Return to the enclosure after an hour or two, plug it in, and try the firewire again. Power disconnection often restores f/w functionality.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Thanks for the head's up.

Thread Information