New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Old iMac G3 slot loading desktop cd/dvd loading prob.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jdzieds

Jdzieds is on a distinguished road

I have an old imac slot loading G3 500mhz desktop with OS 9.2.2. Recently the cd/dvd player stopped accepting dvds & cds. It loads them fine, but after a few seconds the player just ejects them. It worked just days ago.

Any possible solutions?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Its either broke or just needs a clean

Getting the drive out is a bit of a pain (I once had to get a small optical disk out of one), but you could give a cleaning disk a try if you have one handy

Or you could try compressed air to blow out any dust

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Jdzieds

Thanks, that is what I feared! I think I will give the cleaning a try, but I thought it might be something else. It seemed to stop working after an auto upgrade of several software.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And if the drive has failed sadly it is a fact of life you will be able to buy a G4 much cheaper than a new slot loading optical drive.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Or a USB external optical drive in enclosure, or a used optical drive via ATA/USB adaptor (only USB 1 though). Okay for low-res pics, music, text, but not video.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdzieds View Post
It seemed to stop working after an auto upgrade of several software.
You say its got 9.2 on it. Running auto upgrades may not be a good idea. Servers will try to download OSX stuff like flash Etc. Could cause problems.
QUOTE Thanks
Jdzieds

I tried to clean it with a laser lens cleaner. I inserted the disc, but I'm not sure if it spins to clean. I can't click play so how do I know it spins? I have my cd player on auto play, but not sure it is trying to play the cleaning disc.

After I used the lens cleaner, I tried to play a dvd and cd, but both were just ejected after several seconds. I need help.

How do I unistall my updates?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Hunt up a USB or Firewire external CDRW or use a thumb drive. Or connect to another Mac with ethernet.
QUOTE Thanks
Jdzieds

but, how do I get the cleaning disc to spin if play on my iMac is disabled...and how can I uninstall my recent updates??
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

I think you're down to removing the optical drive from the iMac. Not easy, but not impossible. I can send you links to How To manuals on request.

What I think MacSk is suggesting is that you link your iMac to another (healthy) Mac via your ethernet setup. It's called Networking. You can do all sorts of maintenance on the troublesome Mac via the other computer. However, that doesn't/won't solve the optical drive problem.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Epson Printing Problems | Busted graphics card. I think »