Moving stuff from 1TB to another 1TB
    Hey guys
    I have a 1TB external with a ton of stuff on it, but it is FAT32 formatted. So, I need to change that to MAC journaled or non journaled- still not sure of the difference. I know the easiest way would be to buy another 1TB and format that one to MAC and then move everything over to it, but then I am stuck with a 1TB that I don't need right now, which I guess, I could then format mine to MAC and move everything back to it and return the other one back to Wal-Mart for a refund, but is there a better/more ethical way of going about this endeavor?

London, England
    iMac Retina 5K 4GHz i7 24GB RAM MacBook Air 11-inch 1.6GHz 4GB RAM
    If the stuff is important, you will need to have it backed up anyway so why not use the new drive as backup in the future?

27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    mail the old one to me..
    Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Yep, if that 1TB drive is not backed up currently, your next post could be asking us if there is any free way to get that data off a failed drive and not finding any good answers.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Sell the redundant one on M-F Buy/Sell/Trade, you have enough posts to qualify, someone will leap at it!

New England
    24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1
    Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have a similar problem coming down the pike. In a month or two, I'm going to give this iMac to my wife, and buy a new one (27") for myself. I have an external Lacie 1TB drive with some backup stuff on it, and my wife probably doesn't need all the programs and utilities I have on the iMac either. This machine will really be more than she needs without any external goodies.

So is there any way to re-configure the Lacie so whatever Time Machine data is on it gets saved to the 500G on the current iMac? I'd like to use the Lacie with my new iMac when I get it, so in a (nearly) perfect world I'd simply drag the TM stuff onto the HDD inside the iMac, and then use the Lacie with the new machine. I'm not anxious to buy another external drive just yet.
    Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
    Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning

I had to do the same thing before, I bought a second external with 500gb and moved everything over after reformatting the drives, but then I made the mistake of deleting everything on the old one by doing a zero out all files on the drive. It never worked afterwards...

Thread Information