New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Best battery back-up for iMac G5???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Arctic Arts

Arctic Arts is on a distinguished road

I need to get a battery back-up for my iMac G5 24" LCD. What I need it most for is CLEAN power as our small Alaskan town power generation is pretty dirty. I've been looking at:

APC Back-UPS RS 800VA - UPS - 800 VA - UPS battery - lead acid (BR800BLK)

CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD 9-Outlet Intelligent LCD UPS (1000VA/600W)

In reading reviews folks don't seem to feel that most (all?) battery back-up systems are as compatible with Macs as they are with PCs. Any recommendations for the iMac for good, clean power?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
lilPoppa

lilPoppa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Arts View Post
I need to get a battery back-up for my iMac G5 24" LCD. What I need it most for is CLEAN power as our small Alaskan town power generation is pretty dirty. I've been looking at:

APC Back-UPS RS 800VA - UPS - 800 VA - UPS battery - lead acid (BR800BLK)

CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD 9-Outlet Intelligent LCD UPS (1000VA/600W)

In reading reviews folks don't seem to feel that most (all?) battery back-up systems are as compatible with Macs as they are with PCs. Any recommendations for the iMac for good, clean power?

Thanks!

Hey,

If you have dirty power problems and the power is not too reliable where you live, be careful buying the standby APC unit or the Cyberpower unit. The cheap units are good where there is pretty steady power and not too much fluctuation. If you have situations where the power needs to be filtered, you need to go with a Smart UPS (line interactive) model. The problem is that the standby units or the cheap line interactive units don't do much in the way of filtering, they'll provide you raw back up power but that's it. Also, Mac power supplies are pretty finicky and they like to have a sine wave, rather than the simulated wave both those units offer.

I would recommend going with something like a APC Smart UPS 1000. This particular model is a line interactive unit. It has AVR Boost/Drop, power filtering, and about 20 minutes at 350W of load. The Smart UPS 1000 is an industrial unit, this type is used in data centers to protect servers. They're a bit more pricey but they are a completely different UPS and offer much better protection. We use several of them at the office on all our machines.

Stay away from the cheap crappy stuff, it's not worth it and needs to be replaced often.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want to upgrade to 4gb | The coolest uses of an ExpressCard|34 slot »