New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

30" Cinema Display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

s3p

s3p is on a distinguished road

I just purchased an 8 core Mac Pro and no sooner than I connected my display, it blew out. I was told that in some instances, you could get caught in what Apple says is a compatibility issue. Meaning, my 1st gen 30" display, is no longer made and not compatible and/or the new system (in rare cases) could have blown it out.
Has anyone every heard of such a thing? Or have any suggestions??
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Don't really believe that all all to be honest! The 30" ACD hasn't changed since launch either as far as I'm aware.

What exactly do you mean by 'blown out'?
QUOTE Thanks
s3p

The difference is in the connections. The older version used a firewire 400 and the new ones don't. As for the Mac Pro, it doesn't have a FW400 port. What is their not to believe?
And when I say blew up, I mean I heard a pop and a puff a smoke come out the front of the display (between the screen and the bottom of the aluminum case.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

No 30" ACD has FW800 ports though.

If you bought a brand new Mac Pro ('09 model) you would just leave the FW cable disconnected and it won't matter. The USB and DV-I ports would be the only ones you'd connect.

I would certainly contact Apple regarding the issue because that is NOT normal.
QUOTE Thanks
s3p

Thanks for the feedback. I have an appt. for Monday.

If they can't do anything for me, it looks like I'll have to save my pennies and purchase another display using my friends personal discount at corporate.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

No problem and good luck...

Just because you don't connect the FW cable is no reason for the monitor to blow. Sounds like the monitor will need to be replaced though and they ain't cheap...
QUOTE Thanks
s3p

Thanks...

true. I wasn't saying it was because of the FW, I was just saying that it was working fine until I plugged it into the new MacPro.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« keyboard skin for the fall 09 macbook? | Pinnacle Video Capture For Mac Audio Crackling! »