New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Bluetooth Keyboard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beavin247

beavin247 is on a distinguished road

Alright i just got a new bluetooth keyboard for my mac for christmas and i am having issues with my F1-12 buttons. When i hit F11 for my volume it uses the expose command and F12 opens my dock. I tried resetting default settings to the keyboard but it did not change anything. I looked through the keyboard shortcuts and it does show the buttons leading to those things but i searched for a volume shortcut and could not find one. I am using Leopard, i haven't had time to upgrade yet.
Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What brand and model is your new keyboard? What Mac are you using this with?

Also does your new keyboard have a Fn (Function) key like most laptop keyboards? If so hold it and try the F-keys.
QUOTE Thanks
beavin247

im sorry, its an iMac intel and its a bluetooth keyboard from apple.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Open System Preferences. Click on Keyboard.

Look at picture below. Uncheck "Use F1, F2 ETC keys as standard Function Keys"

That should fix it for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (65.3 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks
beavin247

Thank you D travis but i unchecked the box and it is still not working. i checked my shortcuts and they show that the shortcut for the dock and the expose and stuff is FN+f11 or FN+f12 but even if i press the buttons without the FN pressed in the problem keeps going. I tried plugging in my old keyboard and the shortcuts aren't working on there either.. im thinking when i installed the new bluetooth mouse that it changed some settings? I tried going to default settings and the problem is the same... is there someway to change the settings so the f11 and f12 will still work for volume? i think its just a shortcut but i can't seam to find where the shortcut is on the list?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Which apple keyboard? USB Aluminum one with numbered keypad?

It works here with it unchecked. You do not press the Fn Key with that option unchecked and my volume buttons work fine. If I check that option then Expose and Dashboard trigger with those same keys.
QUOTE Thanks
beavin247

it doesn't have a numbered pad. its just a short one but yeah its aluminum
QUOTE Thanks
beavin247

here is a photo of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 2.jpg (70.7 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
beavin247

here is a picture of my settings for my keyboard... it might be something really obvious and if it is im really sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (49.9 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
beavin247

if anyone has figured it out yet i still really need some help. thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Unless that small USB keyboard is very different from the larger one I have with the Numbered Keypad, I don't know what is going on. I can not duplicate your issue except for what I told you earlier with that checkmark in Keyboard preferences. Still hoping someone with your keyboard would jump in and help.
QUOTE Thanks
beavin247

alright thank you very much. but yeah... i looked it up on the apple website and they said that the functions should work just like a normal keyboard... im wondering if for whatever reason there might be a stupid update or something maybe? ever heard of that?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

If there were any updates for that keyboard, they should show up in Software Update from the Apple menu.

I have a feeling it's some setting somewhere besides that keyboard preference pane.

Did any driver CD come with that keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

As nothing obvious has popped up then try this and hope. Download this and run it.
QUOTE Thanks
beavin247

No, there were no driver Cd's with the keyboard.. im going to try downloading the other update though... hopefully that will work.. Thank you both very much for the help so far though. Il respond to if the combo update thing worked.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WD 320gb Harddrive Not Mounting- How to force mount. | Mouse/keyboard with Tiger? »