New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Question about video card slots in PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Hi everyone. After Christmas I plan on getting a new video card for my PC, since the on board one sucks to be honest. The problem is, the computer has a PCI slot only. So my question is, is there a way I could change the slot to be something like PCI Express? I'd really like to get a great card to reduce lag as much as possible.

Thanks!
James

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I have never heard of anything that can do that? Although running a quick google search I did find some stuff about converters and adapters. I'm not sure if they work.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

There is a company that makes external adapters which would (a) look lousy and (b) be about the $500.00 mark.

PCI Adapters
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
There is a company that makes external adapters which would (a) look lousy and (b) be about the $500.00 mark.

PCI Adapters
Eww. Might as well get a new Mobo and processor for that amount.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Eww. Might as well get a new Mobo and processor for that amount.
Agreed. You really don't want to go to the expense of buying a PCI video card. Any card that you do get is going to be fairly weak because of the limited bandwidth of a PCI slot.

PCI Express x16 is an order of magnitude faster than a PCI slot. If that machine has integrated graphics and only offers PCI (not even AGP?), it's either ancient or was a bargain basement system. Definitely not something you'd want to game on.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post

PCI Adapters
it'd also really slow down that fancy pcie card.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
coaster

coaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video

You should be able to buy a new motherboard, new CPU, AND a new video card for what those adapters would cost. Hardware is so cheap these days it doesn't really make much sense to spend too much on upgrading old hardware. Why, for just a couple hundred more, you could build a whole new computer from the ground up, and specced out just the way you want.

~Tim~
Throw the bums out!! Bye Bye Bums
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

But if I change my motherboard, I would have different slots. Right?

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct. Can you tell us a little about the machine? It sounds pretty low end, and if you start thinking about replacing the motherboard, chances are you're going to need to swap quite a bit more.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

It's a Dell Dimension 3000. We got it in either 2004 or 2005 to replace our old HP Desktop. When we got the iMac last year, we no longer had a use for the Dell. So I used it for my games- in specific Auran Train Simulator and Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I upgraded the computer with a DVD Drive and more RAM (1.5 more gigabytes). It ran well but I knew if I had a better video card, it'd be great. So while it was cheap, it does a great job especially with my upgrades. And time has come for me to upgrade the video card.

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Chances are, you're going to have to replace the board, the CPU, the memory, the power supply and possibly the case (depending on how proprietary it is) in addition to the video card. That leaves your optical drive and possibly a floppy.

In my opinion, I'd look at selling it on Craigslist complete and just build a new system. It's a lot of fun to get into and you can build a decent mid-range box for just a few hundred dollars.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Rather fancy the time has come for a new Dell. Here Down Under TV ads are running hot with new Dell machines, with monitors from $699.99, about US$600.00 which would be the cheaper way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Chances are, you're going to have to replace the board, the CPU, the memory, the power supply and possibly the case (depending on how proprietary it is) in addition to the video card. That leaves your optical drive and possibly a floppy.

In my opinion, I'd look at selling it on Craigslist complete and just build a new system. It's a lot of fun to get into and you can build a decent mid-range box for just a few hundred dollars.
I've considered building my own computer and am very interested in it- I just want to make something GOOD and I'm afraid I can't really afford that.

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Building your own is a lot of fun. Can be a big learning experience. My first one was the week Win 95 came out. Kept having it crash during the install process. Took me several hours to figure out I'd gotten some bad RAM.

The other place to look is your local craigslist.

Unlike finding a Mac at a reasonable price, I've seen a lot of pretty decent gaming rigs for sale here at $3-400 and a few really nice ones in the $5-700 range. Bet you can find one in the $250-350 range that would blow away that Dell you have now.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
I've considered building my own computer and am very interested in it- I just want to make something GOOD and I'm afraid I can't really afford that.
It all depends on your budget. Come up with a reasonable number and I'd be glad to help you piece something together that will deliver some good bang for the buck.

The best thing about BYO PCs is that you can start small and incrementally upgrade. The important thing is to start off with a solid base.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fan Cooling | Any TV repair men out there? »