New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Is this hard drive Mac compatible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Leonardo

Leonardo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,

Hi,

Can someone tell me if this hard drive can be Mac compatible, and would it be possible to get some kind of case at the electronics store to convert to an external hard drive? All I have to go by is this picture:

Immediate answers appreciated....
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It's a regular PATA 120GB HD, if you wish to use it as an external HD, you'll need to find one that has that connection inside (you want to avoid SATA enclosures) and as an attachment to the Mac, it can be USB or Firewire..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

HDDs are HDDs.
There is no "PC" HDD or Mac HDD.
If the specs fit a particular model of computer, then it should work.

And yes, there are several casing enclosure kits for HDDs available on sites like newegg or OWC.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

You can use that hard drive 'as is', without an enclosure, by using an ATA-USB2 adaptor kit. Like this: Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC Great for recycling old hard drives for storage, movies, music, pictures etc. Access time is the usual USB2 rate - up to 480 Mbps.
QUOTE Thanks
Leonardo

Leonardo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,

Thanks for responding,

I'm looking into enclosures, and they all seem to have to fit a certain size hard drive, like 3.5" or 5.25" etc. I'm assuming they want the diagonal width, which I measured and it is 4 inches wide. 4 inches doesn't seem to be an option to search by, so am I measuring this wrong? If so, how do I find out what size enclosure it needs?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You need a 3.5" enclosure.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And to make it a bootable drive for your eMac, you will require a Firewire 400 enclosure. You can then back up the complete system to the external usin g SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Coner.

Of course if you are brave and crack open the eMac, just install this one and make the 40GB external.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2GB SDRAM in my G3 ? | Mac friendly photo scanners with ADF? »