New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Install Mac apps on external hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Leonardo

Leonardo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,

Hi all,

I have a very small built in hard drive (40GBs) and I am quickly running out of available space. Because of this, I am looking into getting an external hard drive.
Since the majority of my hard drive is loaded with Mac only applications, I'm wondering if it's possible to install mac apps onto the external hard drive. Or are external hard drives only good for storing files made by the apps, word documents, pictures, videos etc?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You may be able to run some applications from an external hard drive but for the most part an external drive would be better used for storing data files. You can move your iTunes library or video collection, and so on, to an external drive very easily.

Have you thought about installing a larger hard drive in your eMac?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Leonardo

Leonardo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,

Would it be possible for me to install the apps onto the internal drive first, then once they're installed, move them to the external drive? Or would the app just try to reinstall itself onto the internal every time I tried to launch the app?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

It's not so much that the application will try to reinstall itself. Often the app will run but not necessarily function fully. If you move iTunes, for example, to an external drive Software Update will not "see" it when an update is released. Even if you manually download the update the installer will be looking in the default location.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

appleXcore can only hope to improve

well the DMG opens into a disk image/drive thing anyway and you can sometimes run apps off that , the install is just dragging it to the app folder. I used to play Sim City that way without ever installing it. SO some stuff can work off your hard drive, cant say what will and what wont.

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual Monitors | External HDD not recognized »