New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac Pro Speakers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pandybelly

Pandybelly is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some decent speakers for a new Mac Pro? I would like good sound but don't want to break the bank either.
All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony.....
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

The only speakers I've had any luck with are Bose and Altec Lansing.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Logitech makes great sets of speakers as well.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you want two speakers, a 2.1 system, a 5.1/7.1 system?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Pandybelly

Pandybelly is on a distinguished road

Hi,

My computer is set in a small office which is fully cluttered with printers etc as I am a photographer. I don't really have the room to try and set up a full surround system so I guess that, for now, I would be looking at something with a "virtual" surround effect. I want something that music will sound pretty good on but it does not have to be of purist quality, just good to the average ear. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Anthony.....
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Here are some 2.0 systems that'll give you decent sound:

ALTEC LANSING VS2620

Logitech Z320

Now I personally prefer 2.1 systems since you get a subwoofer and the speakers themselves tend to be of high quality, thus resulting in better sound.

Here's a nice 2.1 system that sounds really good:

Logitech Z-4i

And here's the granddaddy of 2.1 systems. I have an older version of this set of speakers and I can tell you, they sound AMAZING. Totally worth every cent. I've had them for many many years now and they still sound amazing. Plus, you can use the subwoofer as a foot stool

Logitech Z-2300

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

+1 on the last link posted by Kash. The Z-2300 setup is great, and as noted the sub is a great footrest! I have been enjoying mine for over a year now and have had zero issues.
QUOTE Thanks
markd

markd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel

I just got a pair of M-Audio AV40 speakers. They are 2.0 (no sub). They sound good. Better than the Harman Kardon Sound Sticks II I replaced, which were 2.1. The reason I replaced them is I wanted to get rid of the sub. New desk and no room for the sub. But I will miss the footrest

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPad Air 2 128Gb, NEC PA322UHD

I had JBL Creatures hooked up to mine for about a year and thought they were **** good for the size and price. They go pretty loud and don't distort (much) at full volume either.

The Z-2300 would be a better and more powerful option though.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I had JBL Creatures hooked up to mine for about a year and thought they were **** good for the size and price. They go pretty loud and don't distort (much) at full volume either.

The Z-2300 would be a better and more powerful option though.
Odd. I have Creatures hooked up to my MBP right now. I bought them because I thought they look cool (and they do!), but I've been disappointed in the sound from day one.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
I just got a pair of M-Audio AV40 speakers. They are 2.0 (no sub). They sound good. Better than the Harman Kardon Sound Sticks II I replaced, which were 2.1. The reason I replaced them is I wanted to get rid of the sub. New desk and no room for the sub. But I will miss the footrest
How would you describe the difference between the M-Audio AV40's and the Harman Kardon's ? I was thinking about getting the latter for my MBP's and thought they sounded pretty darned good.

Doug

Edit: nevermind. I just realized that the AV40's are 110/240 V switchable. I'll be getting those, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

I have the BOSE companion 3's and LOVE them.

QUOTE Thanks
y-guy

y-guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers

I've got the Logitech Z-2300 and love it, great set of speakers good sound and I like the remote box.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« EXternal H'drive up to 1tb, which 1? | magic mouse not working on vista »