New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Dual Monitors

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stephensking

stephensking is on a distinguished road

Hi, i have a 13'inch(06-07 I do not know) mac book and i want to hook it up to another monitor so i can do dual. the thing is i got a mini dvi port and i do not know what do buy. so i can do dual for my other monitor. or is it not even possible?

-my other monitor that ill hook it up to is: 19'inch dell flat screen (think lcd)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You're going to need an adapter in order to hook up a second monitor. First you need to determine what type of adapter you need. Look in the back of the monitor and see whether you have a VGA and/or DVI connector. Look below to determine which one(s) you have, the one on the left is DVI and the one on the right is VGA.

If you have the one on the left, then you need to get the mini DVI to DVI adapter. If you have the one on the right, then you need the mini DVI to VGA adapter.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
stephensking

im pretty sure i have the 1 on the left. Check the pic below (i attached it)thats what i have.
i clicked your link it would cost around 20$. that sounds reasonable. Could i buy 1 at radio shack or somewhere else besides going to apple store?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 007.jpg (453.1 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You have a VGA cable there so you'll need the mini-DVI to VGA adapter. If you don't want to go to the Apple Store, order it online.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

definitely VGA

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
stephensking

so if i have the VGA what exactly do i have to buy? link Please?
QUOTE Thanks
BluesForDan

BluesForDan is an unknown at this point

I also want to go dual monitor with my dusty but trusty '01 G4. What information do I need to bring to the thread for people to help me? I currently have a 21" Sony Trinitron monitor on the VGA from the graphics card in the G4. I'd like to also use my 15 in Apple Display. I figure I'm going to need to get another video/graphics PCI card, and I have open slots available.

what I got:
dual 450 Mhz PowerPC G4
640 MB RAM
ATY RAGE128Pro
OSX 10.3.8

My video card had two ports, but not the capability of dual monitors, as I tried Does the OS matter in supporting dual monitors? Ideally, I'd like to use this for a recording and video station setup. It would be great to use one monitor for the controls, and the second one for the meters.

thanks in advance for replies.
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

appleXcore can only hope to improve

depending on what GPU or chip set you have , you MIGHT not be able to run widescreen. My eMachine cant run wide screen with its dated card.

you need to buy a "Mini DV - VGA" adaptor = Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

plug that in and you'll be set for Dual Screen. You can adjust your settings under system preferences > Displays

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LaCie Rugged Hard Drive Overheats | Install Mac apps on external hard drive? »