New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Looking for a PDA, not an iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I'm not sure if this is the ebst place to be asking this, snce i'm sure many are biased towards iPhones/iTouches, but i'm on the Verizon network, and i can't afford the data plans regardless. But i'm looking for a PDA i can sync up with my computer, organize my contacts and appointments, and have wireless internet on it via Wifi. Can anyone recommend a model/brand? I was looking into Palm, but they sort of dedicated their site to the new Pre and their line of smartphones, which is not what i need. Any opinions are appreciated.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I have an older Palm Tungsten T2 that I keep as a backup. My iPhone replaced it and a Motorola RAZR a few years back. The majority of my iPhone usage is just basic PIM and email, so I'm thinking of switching back when my AT&T contract expires. You can snag a good used Palm Tungsten on eBay for between $50 and $200 depending on the seller. I've replaced the batteries before and it's a snap. MarkSpace's MissingLink software works just fine for syncing iCal, Address Book, etc and even preserves color-coded calendars (which is nice). Good luck!
Dave

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Nevermind..you said you don't want a dataplan..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
HarryPorat

HarryPorat is on a distinguished road

I was thinking BlackBerry all the way but you'll most likely need a data plan to cut down on the cost of buying the phone ufront. Blackberry are superior to iPhone in the PDA department IMO. Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Thanks guys for your opinions. XJ-linux, i was looking at the Palm TX, i found it on ebay for $250, MarkSpace's MissingLink software work with Microsoft Entourage by any chance?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

My sister is asking for an iPod touch or Christmas, and i looked into it, and it has the wifi, email, and such. Could that be an alternative to the Palm TX? I would never use the ipod function of it, since it's too big and fragile for me, and i already have an ipod nano and shuffle. I basically need one for email, wifi, an organizer and address book. I saw it has the maps function, that would be useful. So what are your opinions, pay $190 for an iPod touch, or $250 for a Palm TX?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

I have the Palm TX and it works great with my Mac. I had a pocket PC and since I use a Mac totally worthless. I love my Palm and I'm sure you will to.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

I had the touch and it was great, very useful for most stuff. I originally had Verizon and didnt want to get the iPhone because I didnt think I needed or wanted the added phone and data feature. So I had the touch and my Verizon phone.

I now have an iPhone w/ AT&T....

be careful! lol

QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdejt View Post
I have the Palm TX and it works great with my Mac. I had a pocket PC and since I use a Mac totally worthless. I love my Palm and I'm sure you will to.
I was reading they have a bunch of 3rd party apps for it, do you have any of these, and where can i get them?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
Emptee

Emptee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB

Get a Blackberry with wifi hardware. I use my Blackberry with my Mac now that RIM finally freaking released a Desktop Manager application for the Mac to sync up the Berry with. The Tour, 8530 or old school 8830 all have wifi the Tour with wifi I believe is the model 9630.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Even if i did buy a blackberry, Verizon usually disables wifi, and they still charge a data plan for any smartphone. So i'm stuck there

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
I was reading they have a bunch of 3rd party apps for it, do you have any of these, and where can i get them?
Here you go...

Freeware Palm: the one and only site for downloading freeware files for PalmOS handhelds.

https://www.gethightech.com/Merchant...gory_Code=PALM

Sync Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, WinMo, Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HTC Touch, Symbian OS phones to Mac and PC via Bluetooth, WiFi or USB

Just about everything needed to get the most from your Palm PDA - new or used.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logitech Z-2300 | transferring files between hard drives »