New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HDMI audio

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I have a new tv and I'll be watching video from my MBP on the tv. From what I can tell there are no audio inputs associated with the HDMI ports. So that would rule those out, right??
Therefore I would have to go with VGA + a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable. (mid 2008 mbp with vga output)

Here's all the inputs on my tv from the online manual...

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

More than likely the SPDIF port can be associated with the HDMI input... I know you can on my TV

of course.. there are always these...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You'll have to read deeper into the manual. As Dysfunction pointed out, some sets will allow you to set the spdif input to correspond with one of the HDMI inputs. Usually, it is a specific port, either HDMI 1 or HDMI 2. Most of the sets on the market do not have this switching ability, In which case, you are correct, you'll need to use VGA to get sound on the TV.

(Typically, that spdif port is used in conjunction with the component inputs. But, more and more manufacturers are, at last, taking into consideration those of us using a computer.)

You'll need to look in the section on Connections. If it can be done, typically you'll see mention of connecting a DVI device.

If you go with the VGA, you will also want to look at the section on connecting a computer. Many TVs have a limited # of resolutions accepted through the VGA. The decent manufacturers will have that info in the owner's manual.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You'll need to look in the section on Connections. If it can be done, typically you'll see mention of connecting a DVI device.
Bingo! I normally read manuals rather thoroughly. Been a little out of it lately (went to the dentist today only to find out my appt. is for NEXT Thursday)

From the manual:

You can connect a DVI device to the HDMI 1 jack on the back of your TV using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. Next connect an audio cable to the PC IN AUDIO jack and to the audio out jack on the DVI device. You cannot connect a DVI device to the HDMI 2 jack on the back of your TV.

So I'll just have to search for a DVI - HDMI cable now.
Man, this TV is so sharp!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I forget without looking if your MBP still has DVI or the new mini-display port.

For DVI:
Video Cable - <b>HDMI/DVI</b>

For mini-display port:
Video Cable - Display Port

You can also find nice reasonably priced cables from Amazon. I picked up a 15' DVI to HDMI from them for $13 I think.

(Oh, and you might keep reading. Some sets require you to go in and rename that HDMI 1 to enable the audio from the PC In. Just had one like that in the last couple of weeks here in the forum.)

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

Just standard DVI on this MBP.
I found this on amazon for $5 + $3 shipping.

I'm reading through the manual now but haven't seen anything yet about renaming the HDMI 1.

You've been more than helpful (just noticed several of your other posts on similar subjects in other areas tonight). Someone should start a Sticky on the subject.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I've been threatening to write a FAQ for over 2 years. I've started one on several occasions. It'd be easy to teach folks about the different type of connections and which cables to purchase. Guess this would stop maybe half of the questions.

But, like in the case with your TV, even after knowing what all the connections are and what they're called, reading the manual is still a requirement for almost every TV when connecting a computer for both audio and video.

edit: Can't beat that price with a stick.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trying to get the audio to work on my samsung connected to my Mac | Apps Crash Every Time I print from *any* Application »