New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

DVD-R's Freezing During Playback

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FolsterVideo

FolsterVideo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac

Can somebody give me some advice? DVD-R's I am burning seem to be freezing. The discs are free of scratches. The freezing occurs at different chapter points. Could it be the labels I am using? I don't think its the hardware, I use SONY DVD-R's.

I have been using Avery CD/DVD Labels.

I shoot wedding video and use Final Cut Express to edit. I then Use iDVD to author the DVD and burn the Disc Image. I then use Toast 10.0 to burn the DVD. I use a brand new Lacie external DVD burner.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I can't have brides angry with me
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Ooo, angry brides, bad!

I would say it's unlikely to be the labels (have you tried one without?), but it could be the discs.
Have you tried playback from the files on your computer, rather than disc, just to check that it's not an encoding problem first?
I would then try a different brand of media as a test too.

Report back with some more info and we'll go from there.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
FolsterVideo

I started using Staples DVDs and had the problem, so I upgraded to the Sony brand and still have the problem. I will check the playback on the computer tonight and let you know what I see.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You might also try switching to DVD+R media. I haven't had much luck using -R media regardless of brand.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
FolsterVideo

UPDATE- Ok its seems like the problem was the labels. The bride (who is also a good friend of mine thankfully) removed the label from the disc and the DVD then played perfectly. The bad labels I was using were Avery 8691 - CD/DVD Labels. They are paper and can cause skipping or freezing due to overheating. I have now switched to Avery 8962 Labels which are designed to work on DVD's and are made of a film that will withstand the heat problems. I tested this label on the same DVD that had problems and it played perfectly. It also look better than the 8691s. The only problem is the cost. The cost over $1 per label, but its worth the money to guarantee playback.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Glad you got it sussed out.
$1 is better than an angry bride.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
FolsterVideo

Has anybody had any luck with Inkjet Printable DVD-Rs? I am ssuming they are better than putting a label on a DVD. Epson even offers a photo printer that will print directly to the disc for as low as 179 on B&H Photo.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

I had a lightscribe burner, which worked ok, but you need specific discs for that.
I can't imagine that printing on them would hurt at all. Could be an expensive experiment though.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drives: 8mb vs 16 mb cache. Big difference? | USB Thumb Drive issues »