New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Any TV repair men out there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

I have an Insignia NS-PDP32-09 32" Plasma TV. I have had it about a year, maybe a little less. Last night when I turned it on it made an electrical popping sound. The screen went black but the audio still works and I can change the channel. I am pretty sure one of the boards fried but have no idea which one. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience fixing these or any ideas to try to get it back on. I will probably take it back to Best Buy tomorrow or the next day to see if it is still under warranty but I don't have much faith in the Geek Squad to fix it. I also can't find any mention of my model number on Insignia's website.

Mods if this would fit better somewhere else please move it, I didn't know if it would go better here or the other hardware thread.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Went ahead and moved - we try to keep that forum somewhat tech free to have one place for a break from it all.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Went ahead and moved - we try to keep that forum somewhat tech free to have one place for a break from it all.
Cool, thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Unless you bought the Best Buy extended warranty|replacement plan, the repair cost may be on you. Their Insignia brand like other brands is usually covered by a shorter warranty period. Make sure you get an estimate first before allowing them to repair it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I was a TV repair tech as a kid but that was a bit ago. This is a wild guess but it sounds like something in the Horizontal-High Voltage area blew. Since you have Audio and channels the low voltage supply is probably ok. Again just a guess.

How old is the set? Read chscag's post also. I see that brand all the time at Best Buy.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Unless you bought the Best Buy extended warranty|replacement plan, the repair cost may be on you. Their Insignia brand like other brands is usually covered by a shorter warranty period. Make sure you get an estimate first before allowing them to repair it.

Regards.
Yeah I considered that, everything I read online indicated it had a 1 year warranty but I don't have a receipt so we'll see how that goes. I'm going to call with model and serial number before I lug it all the way up their and make sure it is covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I was a TV repair tech as a kid but that was a bit ago. This is a wild guess but it sounds like something in the Horizontal-High Voltage area blew. Since you have Audio and channels the low voltage supply is probably ok. Again just a guess.

How old is the set? Read chscag's post also. I see that brand all the time at Best Buy.
I'm pretty sure it's less than a year old but like I said above I don't have the receipt. I pretty confident I can fix it myself with the right part if need be. I'm just not sure what part to get. I think this may be it though (INSIGNIA EAX41409701/7 Power Supply Board - Main -NS-PDP32-09). Thanks for the quick responses.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Well, if you've got sound and can change channels, I'd be willing to bet it's not the main power supply board.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107
Well, if you've got sound and can change channels, I'd be willing to bet it's not the main power supply board.
That is what I was saying above. Sounds like the high voltage supply which is part of the horizontal output section. My 27" Phillips blew both within a minute of each other. BANG and no picture but sound and changing channels then the main power supply went and then there was nothing!

I was even more angry when I found 100's of the same set on the net all with the exact same failure! My next set was a Sony WEGA. Still going strong after 4.5 years.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Thanks for the info, if Best Buy tells me its out of warranty then I'll pull it apart and take picture of the damaged board. Hopefully I can get it fixed pretty cheap because I was planning on buying a new TV for my living room, not my bedroom, this month. Oh well, thanks again.

QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Whew! 8 days left on my warranty for the TV. Best Buy is sending a replacement, it will be here in about a week!

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Looks like you lucked out and avoided a costly repair or replacement. You might want to consider purchasing the Best Buy extended warranty before that good luck runs out.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Well, Best Buy contacted me on Tuesday and informed me that they did not have an equivalent replacement and the TV could not be repaired. They told me to take it to a local Best Buy for a solution. On Wednesday I took it to my local Best Buy and they let me do an even swap for a 40" Toshiba 40RV525R 1080p LCD TV. I thought this was a great deal since my wife and I were planning on buying a new TV for the living room so I put it in there. I put the 37" TV that was in my living room in my computer room. I bought a open box 720p 32" Samsung 360 series LCD for $300.00 to go in the bedroom to put in the place of the one I traded in. I think things turned out pretty well. I purchased 4 year extended warranties on both TV's so hopefully I won't buying another one anytime soon.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about video card slots in PC | Apple 24" LED Cinema Display »