New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Question about a western digital 500gb passport hdd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Palachinkawinka

Palachinkawinka is on a distinguished road

I bought a western digital 500gb passport hdd a few months ago for my Dell laptop and I'm planning on upgrading to an iMac soon. I was curious to see whether or not this hard drive will work with my new mac, because I see that western digital makes them for specifically for
macs as well. And if not are there any ways to make it work? I really don't want to lose all of my music

thanks so much everyone
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Yes, it should work just fine. Those "Made for Mac" hard drives are just marketing ploys to get more money out of people.

Keep in mind that you'll need to have the drive formatted as FAT32 if you want the Mac to be able to write to it. OS X can only "read" an NTFS drive.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Well if your WD 500GB passport Hard drive is formatted as FAT32, you will be able to use it for both Mac and Windows. The only limitation is that you can't write anything larger than 4GB to the Hard Drive.

NTSF needs special drivers for a Mac to be able to write to the Hard Drive, it shouldn't have any problems reading what's on the HDD though.

Then we have Mac OSX Journaled which can only be read and written on by a Mac.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Palachinkawinka

Palachinkawinka is on a distinguished road

Awesome guys thanks! luckily it is
formatted as FAT32 so I guess I should be fine. Big relief
thanks again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new MBP connects to HP all-in-one printer but will not print | Apple Cinema display to xBox 360 »