New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

USB External Drives automatically ejecting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NMontgom

NMontgom is on a distinguished road

I've been having a chronic problem with any USB external drive connected to my Mac Pro. Wondering if anybody else here has experienced the same troubles.

Appears to happen whenever I'm doing something intensive with the drive (i.e. moving a large file, editing video off of it, etc.).

I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. Perhaps it's the USB ports themselves, or maybe it's a power issue (I don't currently have a UPS for my tower).

Anybody else seen this before?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Is that external drive - any one - powered from the USB port itself? Mac USB does not always provide reliable power supply to external devices unless their demand is minimal, eg. keyboard and mouse. A UPS for the Pro won't make any difference to this issue.

I suggest you invest in a quality powered external hub, or use mains-powered external devices, especially for the "intensive" work.
QUOTE Thanks
NMontgom

NMontgom is on a distinguished road

The external drives (1 x 500GB, a couple others at 1TB) all have power adaptors, not USB powered. And I've tried using a USB hub, but to no effect.

The building I'm in is VERY old and is pretty bad with dirty power, so I figured that could be the issue, but recently tried using a power distributor. Again, no effect.

It's starting to sound like the problem is with the USB ports themselves, so I may have to get them looked at.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Boot, and then run a hardware check from the Install Disk 1 > Disk Utilities [this is better than using DU from within the MacOS]. An analysis may show a USB fault. If so, it's likely to be on the motherboard, which, as I think you hint at, is a job for an expert.

Re the "dirty power", if your Mac Pro is operating without faltering (excluding the USB issue), then the mains power is unlikely to be the cause of USB failure.

Are your external drives firewire-capable? If so, try that avenue to see if you can get around the USB failures.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memorex ext hdd not being recognized | new MBP connects to HP all-in-one printer but will not print »