New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Recording PlayStation 3 Gameplay in HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KGerrity

KGerrity is on a distinguished road

Ok, the ways you guys explained things seem way more complicated than the obvious, which is what I'm about to ask:

Can I buy this HDMI splitter (Ultra Performance 1080p 2 Port HDMI Splitter at TigerDirect.com), connect it to my PS3's Hdmi Out, giving me now 2 Hdmi Outs, then connect a dvi-to-Hdmi adapter to the splitter and have the other side plug into my mbp's Dvi jack???

Of course from there I will need to find software that can understand what I'm putting into the mac, but that's step/question #2. If you have an answer to step 2 also, I would appreciate the input.

Thx!
QUOTE Thanks
T-BILLIONS

T-BILLIONS is on a distinguished road

Wish Elgato would make one of these with HDMI input.

NEW TO MAC & LOVIN IT!
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

I doubt that the Mac will accept anything going into the DVI port, I believe it only exports. I believe the 2nd method I suggested will work. If you want to record gameplay, then it would make sense to use the component method only during then, while reverting back to HDMI when playing glorious 1080p feeds.

I understand what you mean T-BILLIONS, when I was on a search for all the components that make up my home theatre, I went through **** with the salesmen at different retail stores. Most were not knowledgeable. Anyways, that is the best and only method I can suggest to record any type of feed of such a high resolution. To tell you the truth, 1080p differs very little to 720p, at least to the human eye. So you will be in good hands if you downgrade to capturing video at 720p, plus you will save tons of hard drive space.

May I ask what you are trying to accomplish by capturing gameplay at such a high resolution?

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks
T-BILLIONS

The resolution of the captured gameplay for me personally (not the original thread creator) doesn't matter all that much I'd personally be happy with 720p as the recorded quality.

The only thing that matters to me personally is that I can still play the game and or watch a movie at 1080p whilst recording. Hence wanting to keep the HDMI's.

Hope that made sense.

NEW TO MAC & LOVIN IT!
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

It makes total sense. The closest you can get to the best of worlds is through component cables. At most achieving a 1080i playback and a lesser resolution if the PVR allows it.

1080i doesn't differ much from 1080p, so if I were you, I would settle for 1080i while gameplay/recording.

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks
T-BILLIONS

So it's that or spend 1Grand - Sucks to be me right now. LOL...

So that being the case if I had too or if anyone else reading this is happy with using component cables (which so far looks like the only way) would this Elgato Video Capture device work well with it being that it is created for MAC... ?

Thanks heaps for all your help by the way.
I read your web page - looks to be a very promising site. Well done.

Kind Regards, Trev. (T-BILLIONS)

NEW TO MAC & LOVIN IT!
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

ElGato will work, unfortunately the RGB cables (I think thats what they are called), cannot carry anything over 480p. So I think your better of with the component since you can gain from the higher resolution.

Thanks for the compliment.

Tech Inventory:
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGerrity View Post
... then connect a dvi-to-Hdmi adapter to the splitter and have the other side plug into my mbp's Dvi jack???
No, that will not work. The port on your MBP is video out only. It will not accept video in. You will need a video capture device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BILLIONS View Post
Wish Elgato would make one of these with HDMI input.
Those of use that jumped on the bandwagon early on have been desiring a capture card with HDMI in for the past 5 years. Welcome to the club. Don't even believe you are the first to try to do what you want. I've been using a computer to capture video for well over 10 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BILLIONS View Post
... would this Elgato Video Capture device work well with it being that it is created for MAC... ?

... (T-BILLIONS)
No, that will not work. That device is for analog only input via composite or S-Video and is really designed for capturing from a VCR although it would work for other analog sources. You are now taking a GIANT step backward from your initial desire.

edit: Wanting to record your PS3 onto your computer will become only your first step into the world of HTPC. To find many others that have now totally moved to current generation systems, you should also be reading the AVS forums, particularly the Home Theater Computer forum (aka HTPC) and the Mac specific forum. You'll find a wealth of info there and days of reading.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
T-BILLIONS

Wow... OK...

I will continue to look for something that will work with HDMI (that is a little more affordable) as this is what the thread creator is after. I'm sure if there isn't anything out right now there will be soon enough from this particular company.

Although if you have a mac pro (not a macbook pro) your in luck and could give one of these a whirl.
But for the peoples like myself who have an imac or a macbook/ macbook pro so far in my searching the component option is the only way to do it cheaply.
Just remember though if your willing to part with $1000 you could get it done with one of these.

NEW TO MAC & LOVIN IT!
QUOTE Thanks
T-BILLIONS

Here ya go - This is what I was after - I have aked this guy for a little more info on the set up but if you scroll down to the Recording PS3 Output via HDMI section there will be pictures there of the way to do it.

Rule 1 guys is never give up and stuff reading the whole alphabet when ya can jump straight to Z.

Regards, Trev (T-BILLIONS)

NEW TO MAC & LOVIN IT!
QUOTE Thanks
T-BILLIONS

Ok so here is the cheaper option for recording PS3 gameplay without eliminating your HDMI leads in turn still being able to play games and watch movies in 1080i.

Connect your PS3 with the output HDMI to an HDMI Splitter (Needs to be powered). Then, you connect the splitter to your TV, and the second output to the HDFURY2/3 (what ever you choose). The HDFury2/3 will output in VGA to component in on the Hauppauge HDPVR. (VGA to component lead comes with HDFURY2/3 if bought from the links) The output of sound in HDFURY2 will only a be of stereo sound, If you want your sound in 5.1 you will need the HDFURY3. Finally, the Hauppauge needs to be plugged into your computer via a good quality 2.0 usb lead; For the best result it is recomended to use a lead less than 2m in length.

Total cost (approx) = $550/600
For more information please vist this site. All thanks are to this man's site.
He is very helpful and knowledgeable with this set up and willing to answer your questions.

NEW TO MAC & LOVIN IT!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And bottom line, you have still not gone into the computer using HDMI which was your pre-requisite from the beginning. You have now switched it to a component and had to move from a digital to analog signal hitting the video capture device.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
T-BILLIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
And bottom line, you have still not gone into the computer using HDMI which was your pre-requisite from the beginning. You have now switched it to a component and had to move from a digital to analog signal hitting the video capture device.
No, not at all - The whole time I knew you had no idea what I was asking... MAC'S dont have HDMI in so how could I ever do that???? Now your just making things up!
I've answered my own question now. Maybe you can take a minute to read back... The only thing I was after was a way of recording without eliminating HDMI from my entertainment set up: CONSISTING OF: T.V. - PS3 - AMP(+ surround sound)... A computer is not part of an entertainment system.

Oh also while your at it - Check this out. Yes I know it's Windows only at the momet - But the technology is now there and at an affordable price - Won't be too long and MAC will have it or something like it soon. Enjoy!
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

NEW TO MAC & LOVIN IT!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer issues with Powerbook G4/OS X 10.4 | New Magic Mouse wont move cursor »