New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Printer drivers for Dell 5100cn

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

globalharvester

globalharvester is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac book pro 15" 2.4 Intel Core 2 duo

Hi! I have a dell 5100 color laser printer which has been a great printer for me. However, I recently upgraded my OS to Snow Leopard (which I love!) from Tiger. The only problem is I can only print in black & white. When I loaded the new os software, I did make sure to include Rosetta...however I still cannot print in color. I hate to buy another printer if I don't have to. Any suggestions? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Have you tried to reinstall the printer drivers you were using in Tiger? If they no longer work you may need to update the drivers for Snow Leopard. Dell has little or no support for its printers with regard to OS X but its printers are actually rebranded Lexmark models and generally can be made to work if you can find the correct Lexmark driver.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
globalharvester

Yes, I did try to reinstall...I checked a couple of months ago with Dell to see if a driver had been released - it had not. I just tried again and have not heard back. I will check on Lexmark route and see what that does. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
globalharvester

I'm having a booger of a time trying to find which Lexmark is the same as the 5100...any suggestions as to where I can look? Or, any other suggestions for a driver?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yeah, I know. It's hit and miss. The best you can do is find a Lexmark that is similar in design and function to your Dell 5100cn and try its driver. You may have to do that several times in order to hit upon the right one.

Have you tried this LINK ? Try to match up your Dell to one of those if possible.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
globalharvester

Thanks chscag! I have tried that link...I'll take your advice and just keep trying! I appreciate the help...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac-friendly color laser printers | connecting my Panasonic tcp58v10 plasma to Macbook »