New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac sound card: What is it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

folksteve

folksteve is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2GHz OSX Snow Leopard

Im quite new to the mac world having used microsoft since windows 95 and various linux distros and am thoroughly enjoying it (IT JUST WORKS!!) .

Im trying to find out what the built in sound cards are in the white Macbooks and Mac Pros, i've looked around and there seems to be no info .

The reason i'm looking is that i know that Mac sound cards don't have a small GM card in them anymore, instead they use Quicktime GM to play back MIDI sounds. I just cant find any written evidence of this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'm not totally sure what specific info you're looking for...but if it helps...Mac's really don't have sound cards...the sound processing electronics are built into the motherboard...and always have been.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
folksteve

No wonder they get the Macs so small. That would explain why i get no results when searching for "mac built in sound card"

I've been out of the computer game for a while but I remember being told that sound cards used to have a GM (general MIDI) synth in the sound card to play back MIDI files.

I recently asked my Uni music production lecturer about this (as he's used Apple computers for quite a while now) and he said that Macs instead use Quicktime music synthesiser software to play back MIDI.

I tried looking around again and got this Legacy: Audio Developer Note: Introduction to Audio Developer Note

However, it still doesn't make me any the wiser with regards to MIDI.

How frustrating
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by folksteve View Post
How frustrating
I still have no idea what it is that you want to know, why you care, or what you're frustrated about.

Your instructor is correct that Macs use (and have always used) software, typically QuickTime, to play MIDI. There is (and has always been) alternative playback software available for more advanced users and musicians as well.

Is there a particular task you are trying to accomplish, or are you looking for a history lesson about music production on the Macintosh?
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by folksteve View Post
Im trying to find out what the built in sound cards are in the white Macbooks and Mac Pros, i've looked around and there seems to be no info .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, lets compare the white MacBook and the mighty Mac Pro
QUOTE Thanks
folksteve

Reason I was asking is that it's for a project im doing for Uni. The project was going to use just MIDI to copy a real Bass line in Logic Pro 8.

I've been very confused with regards to how Macs use MIDI (as i've only started using them and not been keeping up to date with MIDI stuff).

All in all im just going to use a MIDI synth in Logic and not worry about the whole General MIDI thing.

"I still have no idea what it is that you want to know, why you care, or what you're frustrated about."

Basically i dont care (its just for an assignment) and im no longer frustrated WOOHOO!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« xbmc on ATV | Samsung H1 and Macs »