New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

hard drive enclosure

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thelemaway

thelemaway is on a distinguished road

I need to buy a hard drive enclosure.

It will enclose the hard drive from my previous, broken iBook G4

I'll be transferring the files to an identical iBook G4 running OS X 10.4.6

I will probably only ever use the device once, for this single transfer

I want it to be CHEAP, but I need it to work.

I would like to hear from someone who has actually used a hard drive enclosure on an iBook, running OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

as long as your usb ports work, it should work.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Better still keep it and use for a Bootable back up - good protection for future failures.
QUOTE Thanks
thelemaway

thelemaway is on a distinguished road

Can I boot through USB or only through Firewire?

Is my drive SATA or ATA (IDE)?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Below is a pretty good selection. The iBook uses a 2.5" IDE hard drive. Any of these will work but as far as booting, an G4 Macs will not boot off USB 2.0. Some say there is a way but most will tell you no. 2 or 3 of the enclosures in this url have both USB 2.0 and Firewire. If you want to be sure you can boot from the external, get one of them. Hope this helps.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Computer Accessories,External Enclosures,2.5",IDE

Just a note to tell you, I own an iBook G4 12" 1.33 Ghz which was the very last iBook G4 before the switch to Intel and the Macbook. I plugged in my external DVD drive and it will not even show up in the boot list holding Option down nor boot holding down C with the OSX DVD in the drive. So go with a Firewire enclosure if you want to boot from it.
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

Would agree with dtravis7 ... go with an external FireWire IDE ata .. not SATA..

I uses mine alot for backups and images for the G4 Series iBooks and PowerBooks
It is invaluable to me.

also just as a side note you can use an older iPod with FireWire to boot from and
use for smaller backups as well.. memory serves correctly it has to be pre-video though

Check it out here OS X running on iPod

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
UnclKracker

UnclKracker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac, Snow Leopard

My enclosure is made by ADS technologies it has both FireWire and USB connections. It will boot up my Mac when connected via FireWire. I also own one from "MAD DOG" it will not boot. I called the manufacturer and I was told the chipset has to be Mac compatible. They don't tell you that in the operators manual or the spec sheet.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Broken iBook internal HD to External HD, Questions? | Bluetooth Headphone Recommendations? »