want a printer for my Mac that only uses black cartridges
    I want a printer for my Macbook that only uses black cartridges. I am not interested in color printing. My Macbook is OS X 10.5.8
    Does that mean that an HP printer that is listed as compatible with OS X 10.5 will work with my computer?

Specs:
    Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ
    Sure it will, with the proper update maybe, or perhaps there's no update necessary... Just browse to the site of the printer manufacturer, and navigate to the driversection, and download the driver.

No offense intended, the last remark is incase other people read this and don't know how to...

todd51
    Mostly any major printer brand (HP, Canon, Epson) should be supported for Leopard. I think the only brand that I have heard of having issues with OS X is Dell. So I would just stay away from Dell printers.

i have found that the brother printers work really really really slowly with my macbook. So maybe stay away from them. i haven't found one that works just like it would normally work with a normal 'pc'

Specs:
    Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
    I have this Brother wireless, all in one laser printer. It works flawlessly with both my mac and my PC. It was really easy to set up to work on my wireless network, and the ink cartridges are around $30 on amazon for 2k+ sheets. I don't think I could ever go back to a wired printer again.

Brother MFC 7840W B/W Laser - Fax / copier / printer / scanner - United States

Quote Originally Posted by Doc750 View Post
    I have this Brother wireless, all in one laser printer. It works flawlessly with both my mac and my PC. It was really easy to set up to work on my wireless network, and the ink cartridges are around $30 on amazon for 2k+ sheets. I don't think I could ever go back to a wired printer again.

Brother MFC 7840W B/W Laser - Fax / copier / printer / scanner - United States
    Yes I too was going to say get a B/W Brother laser printer. I have a used one and works great.

Specs:
    2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
    Another vote for the Brother laser! Works great, toner lasts a long time. Flawlessly wireless with two macbooks. Very happy! Under $100 )can often get a "deal" and get them for $50 - $70)
    Mary

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    If you're only printing black, then I would highly suggest a simple laser printer. A toner cartridge may cost a bit more than your regular ink cartridges, but they last MUCH longer, so in the end you save a lot of money. Then there's time, a laser printer spits out pages before an inkjet would get past a few lines. Plus simple laser printers themselves are relatively cheap.

HP LaserJet P1006 - $89.99

I've been using an earlier version of the above for a little over 4 years now and I have only replaced the toner once. Keep in mind that I print quite a lot, tons of papers in college and now in law school.

June 2007
    July 2009

Thread Information