New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Automatic back up from external hard drive to external hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

annahardy

annahardy is on a distinguished road

I was hoping someone might be able to kindly help me to save a bit of time and streamline my back up process.

I have an imac, and use Time Machine (about to also start using Super Duper) to back up the contents of my imac hard drive to a backup external hard drive (which gets regularly rotated with a second offsite backup hard drive). All I store on the imac hard drive are the applications and some basic admin documents, I don't really save any of my working files on it so as not to clog up the computer's hard drive (I am a photographer and work with lots of huge TIFF files which would clog up the imac hard drive in no time at all!) I am happy with this part of the back up process.

However, all of my working files (images etc) are saved directly onto a large external hard drive - this is my primary working drive. At the moment, to back this up I am having to do this manually. All new or amended files are manually copied to a backup external hard drive and are manually copied to DVD for offsite storage. What I really need is some way to make an automatic backup of my primary working external hard drive to a backup external hard drive. I can find lots of software that will automatically back up from the computer's hard drive to an external hard drive (such as time machine and super duper), but can't seem to find any that will automatically back up from one external hard drive to another external hard drive.

Can anyone help or advise please? Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I believe that SuperDuper! has the functionality to ' schedule ' a backup script.

You could use that to copy data from one external to the other.

Unless with ' automatic ' you mean ' in real time ' .... that is something different

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
annahardy

annahardy is on a distinguished road

Thanks McBie, I'll contact SuperDuper about it. I don't necessarily need it to be in real time, just a regular backup once or twice a day would be great. My primary working external hard drive is in RAID so it automatically backs everything up in real time, I just get a bit cautious about relying on this, as although it is a back up, I'm conscious that it is still within the same unit. To be extra sure I just want to be able to regularly back up to another external hard drive so it's on a separate unit altogether.

Thanks for your prompt help, much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
ronnlly

ronnlly is on a distinguished road

hi annahardy
i have the same interest in backing up an external hard disk attached to time capsule to another external hard disk. Would you mind sharing with me your final solution please. I tried Carbon Copy Cloner. It does not seem to recognize the external hard disk. As the external hard disk needs to be shared with a PC, it is formatted in FAT32.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Eye-Pad

Eye-Pad is on a distinguished road

Has anyone used RSync? I heard really good things about it...
QUOTE Thanks
Ross Woodhall

Ross Woodhall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: power mac, imac, macbook pro, mac mini, ipad, iphone 4, ipod

Hi Anna,
I'm in exactly the same situation, someone told me about Backblaze as an option, but I have TB's of files and it would take forever to upload + they charge a fortune should you ever request a hard drive back up copy. There has to be some solution out there.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You guys realize the post is over 18 months old. The OP is no longer around. Her only 2 posts were in this thread.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Ross Woodhall

Ross Woodhall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: power mac, imac, macbook pro, mac mini, ipad, iphone 4, ipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
You guys realize the post is over 18 months old. The OP is no longer around. Her only 2 posts were in this thread.
I only looked at the date of the last post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ram Upgrade question | Vendor LAZY! in MAC Store A2you Paulista - Alert »