New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Magic Mouse

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

therichad

therichad is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHZ Intel Quad-Core i7 iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 3 16GB

Is the new Magic Mouse worth getting? I recently sold my Mighty Mouse due to its sketchy scroll wheel. I really got ripped off on that mouse!! I paid $70 for it and only received $25 for it. I really do not want to get ripped off again. Anyone who does have it recommend it?

Once you go Mac you never go back (to PC)
Android sucks!!
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by therichad View Post
Is the new Magic Mouse worth getting? I recently sold my Mighty Mouse due to its sketchy scroll wheel. I really got ripped off on that mouse!! I paid $70 for it and only received $25 for it. I really do not want to get ripped off again. Anyone who does have it recommend it?
Well I just bought mine, and I will give you a list of pros and cons.

CONS:
1) Right click and left click, that's it. No middle click, no side buttons, nothing.
2) Battery life doesn't last for 4 months as advertised. I've used it for two weeks and it is down to 70%.

PROS:
1) NO MORE SCROLL BALL.
2) Multi-touch function is great, especially how I can now flip through webpages, iPhoto, iTunes, everything.
3) Ergonomically, it feels wonderful in my hands.

I would recommend it if battery life and the lack of buttons isn't a problem for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It's essentially a trackpad mouse. If that appeals to you, then go for it.

However, do not get it expecting a good return on your investment. You're not going to get anywhere close to $70 when you decide to sell it. In fact, don't expect any piece of electronics to be a good investment, their values only go down.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

In fact, don't expect a lot of things in life to have good returns when you sell it second hand. I don't know a lot of things that actually increase with value. Unless, of course, if you bury it in your backyard for three centuries.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree with PsYkOoOoO. I really love mine but have not had it more than a few days. Battery is still at 100% using stock Energizers that came with it.

Only thing I hope they later do is add through the driver a few more gestures that will allow clicking Expose and say Dashboard. Otherwise I love it.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I agree with PsYkOoOoO. I really love mine but have not had it more than a few days. Battery is still at 100% using stock Energizers that came with it.

Only thing I hope they later do is add through the driver a few more gestures that will allow clicking Expose and say Dashboard. Otherwise I love it.
I personally don't understand the complaint that the new Magic Mouse does not have additional buttons to do Expose and Dashboard when you can achieve the same thing with hot corners. My Dashboard is set to the bottom left hand corner, my Spaces to the bottom right, Expose to the top left and the desktop t to the top right. I've always thought that having the functionality of setting these to the hot corners and the buttons on the mouse contradicted one another.

A few more gestures wouldn't definitely be nice, but allowing expose and dashboard is not exactly what I need. Pinch to zoom, for example, would be a welcomed gesture on my part. I think the base of the Magic Mouse grips onto the table surprisingly well, which makes doing gestures on the surface of the mouse to be very stable.
QUOTE Thanks
jer4391

jer4391 is on a distinguished road

I installed Snow Leopard on my MacBook and love my bluetooth keyboard but my mouse does not work as advertised.I cannot seem to screen zoom, scroll or two finger swipe. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
RickPrather

RickPrather has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM

Do you have, or did you have USBOverdrive installed?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Also is the 10.6.2 Update installed? Another thing is run Software Update and see if anything comes down for the Magic Mouse.

Like was said, if any of USBOverdrive is even there it will stop the MM driver from working.
QUOTE Thanks
jer4391

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPrather View Post
Do you have, or did you have USBOverdrive installed?
Not at all.
QUOTE Thanks
jer4391

I did not hav USB overdrive installed.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Also besides the question I asked you above, have you opened System Preferences and Mouse? Are the options there and checked?

You will notice in System Preferences if the proper driver is installed there is a separate icon for Keyboard and Mouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (14.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (88.2 KB, 15 views)
QUOTE Thanks
jer4391

I did open the system preferences and it does not give many options. I opened the mouse open and it only lets me adjust tracking speed and double click speed
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer4391 View Post
I did open the system preferences and it does not give many options. I opened the mouse open and it only lets me adjust tracking speed and double click speed
Check my new post. I posted 2 pics of what System Preferences and the mouse panel should look like. Run Software Update from the Apple Menu.

In Snow Leopard 10.6.2 should be installed.
QUOTE Thanks
jer4391

Thank you dtravis. I will try to run the software update. I just bought the Snow Leopard, Magic Mouse and Keyboard today and installed them. I did not try the software update. I appreciate you help and am doing it now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB hub off Ethernet, possible?! | Need to obtain data from possibly "dead" Lacie hard drive... »