New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Change the name of a DVD Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaybird.99

jaybird.99 is on a distinguished road

I bought a new DVD burner, but it has a weird device name on the computer and is really long. Is there a way I could change the DVD Drive name in Snow Leopard so I can get it to say DVD Burner instead of HL-DT-ST BD-RE-GGW-H20L?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not sure if this will work (it works for an external hard drive).... When your DVD drive mounts on your desktop, click on the name. A red oval background should appear around the name. Now click at the end of the name or anywhere on the name until that red oval background turns to a square colored light red. Type in your new name for the device and press enter.

If it took, the new name will appear and stay that way each time you mount the drive. But like I said above, this works for hard drives since they can be written to, however, a DVD drive can not be written to other than by a firmware update. Give it a try and see what happens.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

The name format you are seeing is for the LG range, and that is the name given regardless if in a Mac, HP, Dell etc ~ wonder why they just don't call them LG DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
Franco2Mac

Franco2Mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Non Intel based I-Mac

How did this work for you...? Here's my situation. I'm running leopard on my somewhat dated iMac (PPC chip) and the internal DVD sometimes burps on trying to read a DVD. I have to insert the disk multiple times. Usually after a couple tries I hear a deep grrrrrr sound and the disk mounts. I'm thinking of getting an external, but don't have a clue as to the best bang for the buck, or for that matter what I'm getting into.

Open to suggestions....

KKKKFL
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD Drive Sounds does not work at all. | USB hub off Ethernet, possible?! »