New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Usb drive difficulties

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sphooky

sphooky is on a distinguished road

I have a 512 megabyte, yes MG, usb drive that i was given for free the other day from my brother and i wanted to use it to tranfer a few albums from the pc to the mac or vice versa.

It is formatted to the Fat32 file system yet it is giving me trouble.
I cant seem to delete whats already on there from either machine, the pc says nothing when i try to drag the files to the trash, just the 'no' symble comes up, while the mac tells me it cannot be modified.

It apparently is read only on the mac, and i cant figure out why.

The pc also doesnt want to have anything to do with this drive. It does let me copy whats on there to the desktop but i cant copy anything to it and a message pops up saying the disk-write is protected.

So what gives?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is there anything on the flash drive you care about? I have a feeling it has some copy protection on it. Have you tried formatting it? In OSX you use the disk utility. Be sure you select FAT which in OSX is FAT32 as both Windows and OSX will both read and write to it.

If it will not let you format it let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
sphooky

there isnt anything i care about on the drive. As far as the disk utility goes, under the erase tab everything is greyed out, including volume format. The format selection isnt greyed out in the raid tab, but im not sure if creating a raid is what i should be doing.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Is there a manual " write protect " type of switch visible anywhere on the outside of the pen drive ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
sphooky

whats the correct term for electronically challenged?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you check for what McBie mentioned? A small write protect switch? Some older Flash drives had a switch like that. If there is none I have a feeling someone installed a write protection to the flash drive. I have found many sites using Google that discuss removing the protection but it's all for Windows. Try a google search for not being able to format a Flash Drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« audio output BESIDES headphone jack | Itunes Radio Genre Bug? »