New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacDrive 8 / ExtremeCopy corrupted HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bmboucher

bmboucher is on a distinguished road

I have a 1.5-year-old Intel MacBook running Leopard and a 2 TB Western Digital external hard drive, which is full to capacity. I also have a brand new Dell Inspiron running Windows 7 R.C. (64-bit version).

I wanted to move all of my music from the external (which is Mac-formatted) to the PC, so I downloaded MacDrive 8 and installed it - and let's just say I didn't exactly get my activation code from the developer. I started to move the music library (all 240 GB of it) to the PC, but the transfer was slow and kept stopping after about 16,000 songs, so I downloaded ExtremeCopy to get things moving faster. It didn't fix the issue with the transfer stopping - I think that has something to do with the number of bits allocated to "count" the files or something, but that isn't really my issue anyway.

In the end, I broke up my library into 16,000 song chunks and transferred the first two to the PC with no issues. When I went to transfer the third the next day, I was instantly given the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH and the PC restarted.

Now the hard drive is corrupted somehow - I can't get it to mount on either the PC or the mac. On the mac, it shows up as an unmounted drive in disk utility, but I can't mount it there - also, both "repair disk" and "verify disk" are unavailable.

I have downloaded data rescue II, and as I write this it is faithfully transferring my data onto another hard drive - it was able to scan it without any problems. I'm also currently downloading Drive Genius and TechTools Pro in hopes one of them will be able to repair it - but if anyone knows an easier way I would love to hear it. I don't feel like the damage is "that bad" - the PC only had a split second to screw up the drive, so it is probably just a misplaced registry file or something.
QUOTE Thanks
bmboucher

By the way, before somebody asks why this is a problem since I am going to be able to recover my data, I should say that I don't have another 2 TB HD, I don't want to buy one, and transferring everything through Data Rescue is going to take at least a week.
QUOTE Thanks
bmboucher

Oh, and before somebody calls me an idiot for not using the mac to transfer the music to another FAT-formatted HD (since I have two more) and then transferring from that to the PC... believe me, I'm kicking myself right now for not thinking of that. MacDrive just looked so.... cool.
QUOTE Thanks
bmboucher

OK, got it fixed.... and it was really weird how.

As I said, I had begun to recover my data with Data Rescue II, when Drive Genius finished downloading. The smart move would have been to wait for the recovery to finish before attempting a repair - but I threw caution to the wind, aborted the recovery and opened Drive Genius.

And that fixed it. Not running a repair in Drive Genius - just opening it. All I did was look at "Information" (look before you leap) and it said that the drive was mounted - and lo and behold, it was. Just to be safe, I'm running a "Repair Disk" in disk utility, but all seems to be good now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple DVI to VGA adapter | Decent External Monitor for MacBookPro »