New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

What Hardware Do I Need?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MathcoreRomeo

MathcoreRomeo is on a distinguished road

What hardware do I need to change these drivers that I have so that I can use new applications, and also older applications (such as D2)?
Not sure if they're video card drivers or what, but they're AppleIntelGMAX3100 drivers. They don't support 256 color or something.
I'm on Leopard at the moment, and was wondering if upgrading to Snow Leopard would change the drivers to do what I want, or if I would have to buy something else.

If you need more info on my computer, let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm not sure I understand your question? The Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chipset supports Hi-Color. Drivers are included with both Leopard and Snow Leopard for OS X and even Windows (if you should decide to install Windows using Boot Camp).

What applications are you going to install that you think you will need updated drivers for?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Drivers are software that are usually hardware specific. In other words, you need the specific driver for your exact hardware. It's always a good idea to check the manufacturers website for driver updates, and use the latest drivers.

All video drivers I know about are backwards compatible, that is, they will run older video apps just fine. Problems occur when your hardware or drivers are too old, and you are trying to run newer apps. Then you must upgrade one or both depending on the situation.

As a rule of thumb, it's always better to max out on RAM before upgrading other hardware. That alone may giver your video performance the boost it needs. If you go for a new video card, make darn sure you're getting one that is compatible with your machine.
QUOTE Thanks
MathcoreRomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question? The Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chipset supports Hi-Color. Drivers are included with both Leopard and Snow Leopard for OS X and even Windows (if you should decide to install Windows using Boot Camp).

What applications are you going to install that you think you will need updated drivers for?

Regards.
I'm trying to run Diablo 2. There is a problem with the GMAX3100s running things that run on 256 color, so I can't open Diablo 2 after I install it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathcoreRomeo View Post
I'm trying to run Diablo 2. There is a problem with the GMAX3100s running things that run on 256 color, so I can't open Diablo 2 after I install it.
If a solution cannot be found...a simple answer to this problem is purchase a $50 dollar Powermac G4 (or an old iBook) computer to run Diablo 2.

As I mentioned in your other thread...trying to run a 10 year-old game on newer computer hardware can lead to problems or incompatibilities.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MathcoreRomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If a solution cannot be found...a simple answer to this problem is purchase a $50 dollar Powermac G4 (or an old iBook) computer to run Diablo 2.

As I mentioned in your other thread...trying to run a 10 year-old game on newer computer hardware can lead to problems or incompatibilities.

- Nick
There isn't a video card or something I could buy that will work with everything?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
There isn't a video card or something I could buy that will work with everything?
You have got to be kidding...right?? Buy one video card that works with everything!!!...including 10 year old games!

I'm assuming you are working from a newer Mac laptop (I forget since you didn't mention it in this thread).

If that's the case...you cannot modify, change, or upgrade the video hardware in a Macintosh laptop or iMac.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MathcoreRomeo

Well, forget all of this.

I've decided to just get a Windows disk.
Does anybody know what exact Windows disk I need?
It's Windows XP Service Pack 2, but I don't know what bit it should be (32-bit or 64-bit).

This is my computer, if it matters:
Mac Product Guide: 13-inch MacBook/2.4GHz (black) | Macworld
QUOTE Thanks
MathcoreRomeo

Quote:
Well, forget all of this.

I've decided to just get a Windows disk.
Does anybody know what exact Windows disk I need?
It's Windows XP Service Pack 2, but I don't know what bit it should be (32-bit or 64-bit).

This is my computer, if it matters:
Mac Product Guide: 13-inch MacBook/2.4GHz (black) | Macworld
Anybody, for this?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange Site Connection Problem | external hard drives "for mac" »