Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   What Hardware Do I Need? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/175272-what-hardware-do-i-need.html)

MathcoreRomeo 11-11-2009 05:05 AM

What Hardware Do I Need?
 
What hardware do I need to change these drivers that I have so that I can use new applications, and also older applications (such as D2)?
Not sure if they're video card drivers or what, but they're AppleIntelGMAX3100 drivers. They don't support 256 color or something.
I'm on Leopard at the moment, and was wondering if upgrading to Snow Leopard would change the drivers to do what I want, or if I would have to buy something else.

If you need more info on my computer, let me know.

chscag 11-11-2009 01:26 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question? The Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chipset supports Hi-Color. Drivers are included with both Leopard and Snow Leopard for OS X and even Windows (if you should decide to install Windows using Boot Camp).

What applications are you going to install that you think you will need updated drivers for?

Regards.

VegasGeorge 11-11-2009 01:41 PM

Drivers are software that are usually hardware specific. In other words, you need the specific driver for your exact hardware. It's always a good idea to check the manufacturers website for driver updates, and use the latest drivers.

All video drivers I know about are backwards compatible, that is, they will run older video apps just fine. Problems occur when your hardware or drivers are too old, and you are trying to run newer apps. Then you must upgrade one or both depending on the situation.

As a rule of thumb, it's always better to max out on RAM before upgrading other hardware. That alone may giver your video performance the boost it needs. If you go for a new video card, make darn sure you're getting one that is compatible with your machine.

MathcoreRomeo 11-11-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 941361)
I'm not sure I understand your question? The Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chipset supports Hi-Color. Drivers are included with both Leopard and Snow Leopard for OS X and even Windows (if you should decide to install Windows using Boot Camp).

What applications are you going to install that you think you will need updated drivers for?

Regards.

I'm trying to run Diablo 2. There is a problem with the GMAX3100s running things that run on 256 color, so I can't open Diablo 2 after I install it.

pigoo3 11-11-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathcoreRomeo (Post 941449)
I'm trying to run Diablo 2. There is a problem with the GMAX3100s running things that run on 256 color, so I can't open Diablo 2 after I install it.

If a solution cannot be found...a simple answer to this problem is purchase a $50 dollar Powermac G4 (or an old iBook) computer to run Diablo 2.

As I mentioned in your other thread...trying to run a 10 year-old game on newer computer hardware can lead to problems or incompatibilities.

- Nick

MathcoreRomeo 11-11-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 941468)
If a solution cannot be found...a simple answer to this problem is purchase a $50 dollar Powermac G4 (or an old iBook) computer to run Diablo 2.

As I mentioned in your other thread...trying to run a 10 year-old game on newer computer hardware can lead to problems or incompatibilities.

- Nick

There isn't a video card or something I could buy that will work with everything?

pigoo3 11-11-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathcoreRomeo (Post 941475)
There isn't a video card or something I could buy that will work with everything?

You have got to be kidding...right?? Buy one video card that works with everything!!!...including 10 year old games!

I'm assuming you are working from a newer Mac laptop (I forget since you didn't mention it in this thread).

If that's the case...you cannot modify, change, or upgrade the video hardware in a Macintosh laptop or iMac.

- Nick

MathcoreRomeo 11-11-2009 07:00 PM

Well, forget all of this.

I've decided to just get a Windows disk.
Does anybody know what exact Windows disk I need?
It's Windows XP Service Pack 2, but I don't know what bit it should be (32-bit or 64-bit).

This is my computer, if it matters:
Mac Product Guide: 13-inch MacBook/2.4GHz (black) | Macworld

MathcoreRomeo 11-12-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathcoreRomeo (Post 941594)
Well, forget all of this.

I've decided to just get a Windows disk.
Does anybody know what exact Windows disk I need?
It's Windows XP Service Pack 2, but I don't know what bit it should be (32-bit or 64-bit).

This is my computer, if it matters:
Mac Product Guide: 13-inch MacBook/2.4GHz (black) | Macworld

Anybody, for this?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.