New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Looking for an External Blu-Ray Burner

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markwco

markwco is on a distinguished road

I want to buy an External Blu-Ray reader/burner for my computer and I assume it's best to have FireWire for my Mac but also i want USB since I'll use it on a Windows machine that has USB only.
I have considered the below drive by OWC which is 12x and $349:
OWC Mercury Pro FW800/400+USB2+eSata BluRa... (MRF8BDSD12X) at OWC

I have heard of other brands such as Buffalo but are there other drives I should look at instead that may be cheaper or better? Also, is it better to buy my own drive from a company such as Pioneer or Panasonic and then buy a case separately? If so, which is a good drive or case to look for?

A couple specs I would like to have are most of all, a drive that does not need external power but that seems hard to find.

The other is a slim-drive since it's more portable. It seems they are much harder to find and much more pricy though. I'd like it to replace my current slim-drive which is a dvd burner but if can't find a slim version I'd likely keep it to use for when I'm on the go and need an optical drive.

Also, it seems media is coming down in price but since I'm looking for a good price on blu-ray media, what is a good place to buy from?

Thank you for help with the above questions.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

I would make my own. You need a box with both firewire and USB ive seen them on eBay. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

This may be a silly question, but what are you going to use the Blue Ray for ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
markwco

markwco is on a distinguished road

I do a lot of home video with a new hi-def camcorder so will be using it for that. I will look at stores like NewEgg and see what I find for cases and drives.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Problems | Hardware exchange question... »