New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Pen drive will not erase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

larns

larns is on a distinguished road

I just bought a little 8gb pen drive as I am formatting my computer and need to secure my work . It copied some of the data, but then half way through it started to hang up and it failed the transfer. so i tried to copy them one by one, but each time the transfer would hang up and not work.

The data I am transferring is audio, WAV

then i deleted the files that were on the drive, but the data was still some how on the disc, maybe it has kept a ghost copy of the data there, like deleted files that stay on there.

<s>So i opened up disk utility to format the drive, but this also failed, it said this:

secure erase free space failed: error: could not create temp file</s>

actually i just worked out what i did wrong....
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It's amazing how just typing out the question sometimes gets the old noggin to restart. Do it myself.

How about sharing, what it was though. You won't be the only one that does it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
larns

larns is on a distinguished road

actually i'm having the same problem again, basicaly I'm trying to copy some more data on the pen drive, but i get this message:

'the operation cannot be completed because you to not have sufficient privileges for some of the items'

But I am the administrator (there is only one account) and the files are not locked!

can't figure this out
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Can we have a description of "some of the items" that cannot be transferred? Not that we wish to pry, but knowing what they are might provide a solution to the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It appears that you have privilege issues. If you right click a file that you are having issues with and click on "Get Info", what does it say under "Sharing and Permissions"?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Having trouble installing flashed sapphire 487 | Hard drive and Time Machine? »