New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Troubles With External Hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BenjiSyndrome

BenjiSyndrome is on a distinguished road

I'm using an iBook G4. So I have a 1TB Western Digital External, and it has worked perfectly for me for about 5 months now, and yesterday I accidently pushed the "off button" on the 6 plug power stick, I hadn't ejected the hard drive and had no intention to either. So now after the "Device Removal" error popped up, I waited a few minutes did a cold boot and plugged in the external back into my iBook through the same spot, USB, but it hasn't popped back up on my desktop. Yet this has occurred possibly 3-5 other times and I got the external to be recognized on my laptop and it works perfectly afterwards, within only a few minutes. I have tried everything I know and I really need to access a few applications on the hard drive. So any suggestions or knowledge on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Not only does it not pop up on my desktop but only disk utilities recognizes it, but it can't do anything with it. Since I am having input/output issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

You say you can see it in disk utility? What do you mean by input/output issues?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

What happens if you attempt to mount it in disk utility?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
BenjiSyndrome

Input/Output issues as in when I try to either mount it or repair disk, it loads for like 10 minutes then dies because of an input/output error. And yes I do see it in disk utilities.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Can you verify the disk in utilities?
I would make that my next step, check it from utilities (from your install disc).

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
BenjiSyndrome

I can't actually. It's saying input output error everytime.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Then I would say that the fault probably lies on the controller board on the hdd. Or possibly in the external chassis... Do you happen to have another chassis you can swap the hdd into?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
BenjiSyndrome

I do not have one, where could I find one for a cheap price. And also why would it not work this time? And it has been able to be recognized all the other times.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Drives tend to not like sudden power drops.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
BenjiSyndrome

I can tell... . Do you think it could have to do with the USB cord, cause I have had troubles with it in the past. And also why would the external not recognize this time, yet it has in the past after its lost power?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

it could, and I'd certainly try it... but the smaller the electrical conductor the less tolerant it is... why now? Couldn't really tell you, why does anything fail when it does.

BTW, local place to me sells chassis for > $30.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
BenjiSyndrome

Ok cool, wait I just plugged it in via USB into my G6 Tower, and it immediately was recognized... What in the world? Ok i am gonna now try it on my laptop again, and see if there is any better result.
Why did the Tower recognize it immediately???
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

More power down the USB bus I suspect. Therefore the problem must lie with the Laptop power supply via USB.

QUOTE Thanks
BenjiSyndrome

Even though the external has its own power supply and not being dependent of my laptop?
QUOTE Thanks
BenjiSyndrome

Sweet, I finally got it to work, and I have no idea how. It just popped up on my desktop, and it works perfectly. Well, thanks Kevriano, and Dysfunction, for all the support. I really wish though that I knew what went wrong, and also how it started working again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dell color laser printer support on Mac? | HP C7280 Printer »