New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

iMac - Magic Mouse Lag

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Terry Y

Terry Y is on a distinguished road

Just bought the new imac 27". It comes standard with the new "Magic Mouse", which I like the look, feel & functionality of, but it frequently has an irritating lag associated with it. I tried adjusting the speed but with no improvement. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there anything else I should try doing?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

What exactly do you mean by lag? Like, do you feel that it is not responsive or does the cursor only move a certain distance across the screen? I read a review somewhere that the 27 inch iMac is so huge that even when you move your mouse from one side to the other physically, the cursor is only going to reach 2/3 of the way across the screen or something.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I haven't tried out the new Magic Mouse yet, but I did notice that they came out with an update for it already. Here is the article I found on it:

Apple posts Wireless Mouse Update for the Magic Mouse

I believe it's available via Software Update or download directly from Apple's website. I would give the update a try.
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

crazypotatos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD

Maybe try some new batteries.

QUOTE Thanks
Terry Y

By "lag" I mean often you move the mouse but the cursor doesn't immediately move. It moves only after a fraction of a second, but it's enough to annoy the crap out of me. I did download the new associated software, but it did not improve things. The batteries are in good shape. Grrrrr!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Does this happen after the mouse is not moved for a period of time? I am wondering if it's entering a sleep mode? My Logitech BT mouse does that to save batteries.
QUOTE Thanks
Terry Y

No, it is not after the mouse has not been moved for some time. It happens at all times.
QUOTE Thanks
jsamuels

jsamuels is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late-2008 MacBook Air with SSD.

FedEx just dropped off my magic mouse. Interesting as the packaging did not include the ubiquitous white box. Mouse was inside an oval plastic case surrounded by solid packing foam. They must be pushing these out before they are totally boxed. Up I also like that there was less wasteful packaging than I've seen Apple use in the past.

Like some others have said in different threads, there seem to be a slight lag when scrolling up/down - but I assume I'll get used to it.

All in all, seems fine for now.
QUOTE Thanks
odenkun

odenkun is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 5

Just got mine today, too. The same packaging style as jsamuels said. Maybe this is a new way of 'eco' packaging that Apple will standardize?

Anyhow, I am still at work and I have to go home first to try this mouse. At least my coworkers (window users) at the office were amazed by the sleek new look. They were, however, astounded by the price.
QUOTE Thanks
Prolanman

Prolanman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad

Just got mine today. I haven't experienced any lag with my 13 mid 2009 MBP. I have read that there are some issue with the new 27" imacs. It may be a system issue causing the lag, not the mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Well on 10.5.1, for me I'm having to lag issues with it at all. And I have an old white C2D imac. Who knows why the lag is there for some people. Maybe the soon to be released 10.6.2 will fix that. As it will have the magic mouse drivers within the system update itself. Maybe an updated driver for the mouse with 10.6.2. Hopefully.

Still for me there is no lag. It just works.
QUOTE Thanks
odenkun

odenkun is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 5

To update, I do experience a lag when scrolling up and down. The mouse does not react immediately together with my finger movement. It is not a huge issue but it would be nice if it moves quickly. My OS is 10.5.8. I used a scroll button of Mighty Mouse to operate expose by pushing it but Magic Mouse won't do the similar. I think I will have to get used to it.

The biggest advantage is 'no more cleaning' of the scroll button. I became so expert to disassemble and clean the mighty mouse scroll button but no longer required to do so!!
QUOTE Thanks
808///M3

808///M3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Y View Post
Just bought the new imac 27". It comes standard with the new "Magic Mouse", which I like the look, feel & functionality of, but it frequently has an irritating lag associated with it. I tried adjusting the speed but with no improvement. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there anything else I should try doing?

Thanks!
Apple will fix this issue quickly, hopefully. Does this problem go away when you restart and slowly return after some use? I understand your frustration, the movement lag is maddening. The scroll function may show a bit of lag, but movement of the cursor should be responsive and immediate at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolanman View Post
Just got mine today. I haven't experienced any lag with my 13 mid 2009 MBP. I have read that there are some issue with the new 27" imacs. It may be a system issue causing the lag, not the mouse.
I believe it IS the new mouse and associated software that is causing this. My 13" MBP began showing the very same issues as the the OP and other iMac users are seeing.

They began just after updating my mouse software and pairing up my Magic Mouse. I observed, via activity monitor, a major jump in CPU utilization by different apps (some over 105%) and all kinds of lag.

Removing the mouse completely from my bluetooth devices fixed the problem. Pairing the mouse up again causes problems to return between 1 and 8 hours later depending on usage.

I'm sure an update will be released, hopefully they nail the problem down quickly. My mouse is useless till then.

Early 2009 13" Pro Time Capsule 2x iPhone 3G 2x streaming Airport Express Windows FTL
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I just purchased a new Magic Mouse. The Apple store was out of them so went up the street and Best Buy had 4 of them. No lag here.

So far really like it, I just hope Apple later adds a few more gestures that will enable Expose and Dashboard.
QUOTE Thanks
Doc750

Doc750 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4

I purchased the magic mouse from the apple store this weekend. I'm not experiencing any lag issues at all. The mouse works flawlessly, I just wish it was a little bulkier to fit my gorilla size hands
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard cover | Another mouse compatible with internal bluetooth »