New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Usb to control a power source

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mjb94

mjb94 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

Id like to use my computer over halloween to turn on and off some effects, over simple, i turn power on to a macbook usb and it turns on a power strip, something that simple, is it possible?

QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

You'll not acomplish this with out some form of automation software. I run / install home automation for a living and no of no such program or hardware relay that can control line voltage thru a mac USB port. I use several that interface thru Ethernet.

Tell me what you are trying to do maybe I can help.
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

Thanks for the reply Clay.
for the past few halloween years ive been doing a small "haunted section" (the path from my driveway to front door ;p) And i want to step it up a bit this year, I have a big strobe, some plain lights to illuminate things and a few motorized moving objects, i would really like to be able to controll the power to all this from my macbook, i have access to windows aswell, If more hardware is required then i would like it to be versatile!!

QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Any hardware that will be controlled by computer are very specific and used only for that and really nothing you'll buy locally for a small amount of money. Didn't try to get too techy. Really your looking for a clapper! Sorry but that would work but look for a remote controlled relay. A device that plugs into the wall and your surge strip plugs into that. They make them with a switch and I am sure I saw on once with a wireless remote used to turn off Xmas lights.

Good Luck and post some pics for us to see

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

Thanks I know exactly what your talking about.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Hard Drive Problem | Bluetooth Keyboard responding different »