New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

The new mouse a good buy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

randoo53

randoo53 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" imac,4GBram,extended keyboard,wireless mouse,19" second monitor

I'm curious as to what exactly your grandmother hates about her mouse. Is it because it's a bluetooth? Does she want something with a lot of range to it? I have had various bluetooth mice and they all seem to basically work well with my computers (the latest being my new imac). Might it be she just got a bad one out of the myriad of possible choices out there?
I am curious like you are however and would like to try the magic mouse to see what it offers over other wireless mice. I hope to be able to get to a Best Buy (sadly my only close choice for stores with Apple products) and try one out real soon. It sure LOOKS like a winner!
Good luck with your choices!
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

bennjiboi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb

You need to ask youself exactly why you want the new mouse?

If you are looking to buy a feature packed mouse that will blow you away - Sadly this wont be the mouse for you.

If you want a slim smooth tracking mouse that has multi touch and scrolls without a trackball, this would be worth looking at.

I love it, but it lacks featurers.

Stanton ATM 6 active monitors | Canon 450D | Razer Sphex
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Bennjiboi said it well.

If you want a mouse to act mostly like the trackpad on the newer Macs, the Magic Mouse is good. But if you want Expose and Dashboard buttons, move on to something else. I am shocked Apple did not allow a setting in mouse properties to allow maybe some double tapping to get to expose.

From the people I have talked to and that I respect, what is there is very nice, it's just missing some functions I would expect for that price. Maybe Apple will add a few things later in the mouse panel like they did for the later iBooks trackpad with 10.5. My iBook does 2 finger tapping now also!
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

Dtravis7 I agree. I was shocked when expose was droped as was the Apple sales guy that I quizzed when I got my iMac on the weekend.

Even he was a little dumbounded that they had left it out and quickly diverted from that conversation.

I think being multi touch, they will be able to introduce new abilitys further down the track.

As you Dtravis7 mentioned his iBook does 2 finger tapping now lol

Apple know what they are doing, they wouldnt roll out a new product that doesnt satisfy the consumer and just give up on it. I'l sure they will watch forums and gather feedback and hopefully get some expose happening!

If it had expose gestures.. It would be love for me lol

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Is The Magic Mouse A Waste Of Money?
Yes, I'm sure it is for some....

...but, for every one of those people there will be another who disagrees.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

The new mouse is awesome! My local Best Buy had them, and so did my local Apple Store. I love how it looks.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged similar threads

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacWindows

MacWindows is on a distinguished road

The mouse looked cool, until I saw this thread.

I guess when I buy an iMac, I'll buy a wireless three-button mouse (since I'll be doing 3D work and video editing), and NOT the Magic Mouse. It sounds like a pain.

-MacWindows
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

It's not at all a waste of money. Is fuel for your car a waste of money?

It would be for me because I'm not a car owner!

My point is, if you need it and it has the functions you are looking for then no, it's not at all a waste of money. If you go out simpy to buy it becuase its new, then get home and find out its not what you need or were looking for then I guess that would be a waste of money.

As for bluetooth, I have some issues from time to time you need to realize that problems may always pop up but generally bluetooth is a great form of connectivity.

QUOTE Thanks
EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennjiboi View Post

My point is, if you need it and it has the functions you are looking for then no, it's not at all a waste of money. If you go out simpy to buy it becuase its new, then get home and find out its not what you need or were looking for then I guess that would be a waste of money.

As for bluetooth, I have some issues from time to time you need to realize that problems may always pop up but generally bluetooth is a great form of connectivity.

Yeah, I'm sticking with my previous post. For 70 dollars, it has to at least have a docking station to charge the batteries and button for expose. I don't expect it to record actions or have on the fly dpi changing like this one does.

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

I think a docking station would have been a really nice touch, rechargeable batterys would have been a huge seller for me.

I'm happy with it for now, it does have a really really nice feel to it.

I am just having to get used to using F6 for expose.. its, a little annoying but I'm learning..

It's still FAR better then using windows hehe

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I am at the Apple store right now trying out the new iMac and the new mouse. Love the look of the iMac. Super fast too.

THe mouse isn't visually appealing to me, personally. Not only that but it is a bit heavy. I think a trackpad in the shape of a mouse would have been an even cooler idea. For instance, it'd be nice if you could do the 2-finger resize pinch action with this mouse. Or scrolling with finger touch. But it has limited touch functions. Not that I expected a full trackpad in this mouse, but it'd be great if it was that way. It wouldn't matter how heavy it was if you could scroll with fingers instead of having to move the darn thing. Whatever.
Maybe with the next one....

What I meant by "scrolling" is moving the cursor anywhere on the monitor. Not just moving up or down within a window.
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

I think now that Apple have the technology they can improve it.. Cats out of the bag now so I'm sure there will be improvments to come

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennjiboi View Post

Thats a bit of a nudder of a question !!!! And cant see the similarity to "is the mouse a waste of money".

I own a car and even though it is essential for my vehicle to operate, IMO fuel is a waste of money. Especially the prices theses days. ......

As for the question ...... Im still deciding on it being a waste of money. $99AUD is the price here down under and yesterday had the chance to quickly
check it out. I found it looks amazing and sleek. But I found using it a tad uncomfortable.
a) Because of its small stature, height wise i am meaning, with my big hands found it difficult to hold onto and use the 2 finger swipe or the one finger swipe. As with the current mouse im using it has BODY and a joy to grip .....
b) The fluid motion of it is great, until after about 10 minutes of continuos use i found my hand getting a little bit sweaty. And this is where i found it even more difficult to use, because every time i swiped left or right the mouse wanted to grab and moved with my fingers.

So the jury is still out for me.

Apart from that i like the functionality of it and the bluetooth connection seemed flawless at this point in time.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

$70 for a mouse is a total ripoff.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« itune Library on External Hard Drive | 27" iMac vs. 30" Apple Cinema Display »