New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

New external drive won't share

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bill2reg

Bill2reg is on a distinguished road

I just came home with a new WD My Book 1TB FireWire external drive. It showed up fine on my Mac Desktop (Tiger 10.4). I partitioned it choosing one single partition and the thrid "button" which said it was the choice if this was to be shared with windows users. I want to share it on the home network which has an XP desktop and a Vista laptop. I formatted it in Mac OS Extended (NOT journaled). I have windows sharing turned on. I also put a shortcut in the public folder. I can access the Mac Desktop from any other computer on the network. The My Book does NOT show up on the network. Any help with this would be appreciated.
As a note, I also have another 1TB external on the XP desktop, and all I had to do was to right click on it (in XP) and click on sharing. That drive can be accessed by any computer on the home network, including the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

In 10.4 Tiger what I always used to share external drives was SharePoints.

It's not needed in 10.5 and higher.
QUOTE Thanks
Bill2reg

When partitioning the drive, when I selected the option (button 3) to make this drive "windows compatible" it no longer showed up on the Mac Desktop, and anyway it STILL did not show up anywhere on the network, so I partitioned again and chose the middle button, option to make it a non boot Mac disk. Now at least I can use if for external storage with my Mac, but it won't show up on the network, even though windows sharing is turned on and I log onto the Mac on my XP or Vista machines with an admin account with password. I think I have to forget about sharing this drive!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you try SharePoints like I posted above? Works here with my Tiger installs and external drives.
QUOTE Thanks
Bill2reg

I did find Share Points and installed it. Now the new drive can be shared. There are a LOT of things that come with that software that I won't be touching........it all seems pretty advanced. But it did what I wanted. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iSight camera with MSN Messenger:mac? | Time Capsule question »