New external drive won't share
    I just came home with a new WD My Book 1TB FireWire external drive. It showed up fine on my Mac Desktop (Tiger 10.4). I partitioned it choosing one single partition and the thrid "button" which said it was the choice if this was to be shared with windows users. I want to share it on the home network which has an XP desktop and a Vista laptop. I formatted it in Mac OS Extended (NOT journaled). I have windows sharing turned on. I also put a shortcut in the public folder. I can access the Mac Desktop from any other computer on the network. The My Book does NOT show up on the network. Any help with this would be appreciated.
    As a note, I also have another 1TB external on the XP desktop, and all I had to do was to right click on it (in XP) and click on sharing. That drive can be accessed by any computer on the home network, including the Mac.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    In 10.4 Tiger what I always used to share external drives was SharePoints.

It's not needed in 10.5 and higher.

Update
    When partitioning the drive, when I selected the option (button 3) to make this drive "windows compatible" it no longer showed up on the Mac Desktop, and anyway it STILL did not show up anywhere on the network, so I partitioned again and chose the middle button, option to make it a non boot Mac disk. Now at least I can use if for external storage with my Mac, but it won't show up on the network, even though windows sharing is turned on and I log onto the Mac on my XP or Vista machines with an admin account with password. I think I have to forget about sharing this drive!

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Did you try SharePoints like I posted above? Works here with my Tiger installs and external drives.

Thank you!
    I did find Share Points and installed it. Now the new drive can be shared. There are a LOT of things that come with that software that I won't be touching........it all seems pretty advanced. But it did what I wanted. Thank you!

Thread Information