New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Xerox WorkCentre PE16 printer drivers for Mac OSX 10.5.8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

littlegazelle

littlegazelle is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am trying to use a Xerox WorkCentre PE16 printer with my Mac for the first time but, when I try to add this printer, I receive a message saying "unable to locate a suitable driver."

There are no drivers I can download through Software Update right now. Per some advice I found online, I tried to download the drivers for Samsung's SXC-4216F printer and use these instead. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to install these. When I try double-clicking on the download -- which has the extension .exe -- I see a message saying the program cannot run in DOS mode.

If anyone could help, I would really really appreciate it -- I'm out of the country and this is the only printer I have access to!

Thank you,
littlegazelle
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegazelle View Post
Hello,

I am trying to use a Xerox WorkCentre PE16 printer with my Mac for the first time but, when I try to add this printer, I receive a message saying "unable to locate a suitable driver."

There are no drivers I can download through Software Update right now. Per some advice I found online, I tried to download the drivers for Samsung's SXC-4216F printer and use these instead. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to install these. When I try double-clicking on the download -- which has the extension .exe -- I see a message saying the program cannot run in DOS mode.

If anyone could help, I would really really appreciate it -- I'm out of the country and this is the only printer I have access to!

Thank you,
littlegazelle

I read the post about the samsung driver. Sounds like you downloaded the windows driver(DOS) Your looking for the Mac driver and in the post the machine it was used on ran 10.3. Good Luck
QUOTE Thanks
littlegazelle

Thanks Mac SK! I have the Mac driver now and I've installed it. I'm still having a problem though. Even though I've installed the Mac driver, its not showing up on the menu of drivers when I try to select it.

I was thinking that the problem could be that I haven't removed the driver I had previously selected for this printer. The Samsung installation instructions say to remove the installed driver prior to installing the new one, but I didn't see any way to do that so I tried simply to choose the new driver after installing it.

Does that make sense? If so, anyone know how I can remove the installed driver? Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Go into System preferences > Print & Fax > and see what is listed there. If it shows the Windows machine, highlight and hit the little (-) sign.

This link to Xerox Australia provides the Tiger driver for your machine with no mention of Leopard. Give it a go, halfway down the page and if that does not work download Gimp on a trial basis and see if that is any better:-

Printer Driver Downloads, Printer Driver, Printer Drivers Fuji Xerox Australia

Gimp is here:-

GIMP - Downloads
QUOTE Thanks
littlegazelle

Thank you Harryb! I am now able to print :-)

Here is what I did:

1. Go into system preferences and uninstall the printer I want to print from (Xerox WorkCentre PE16)
2. Go to the library/printers folder and delete the Samsung folder
3. Reinstalled the Mac drivers for the Samsung SXC-4216F printer
4. Go to print
5. Re-add the Xerox WorkCentre PE16 printer
6. Print Using Samsung SPL 2.5 (this came up automatically)

Thank you both for your help! I really appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
rapanui

rapanui is on a distinguished road

i tried to do this but on lion it says "can't open XXXX because power pc applications are no longer supported"........any help? thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Hard Drive not mounting bc SMART not supported? | Setting up a Canon Pixma MP 620 in Snow Leopard »