How Do You Use 2 17" Apple Studio Displays
    As the subject reads, I'm wondering if there is a splitter so that I can connect a second 17" Apple Studio Display to my Dual 1.25ghz PowerMac G4. I've briefly read that I need to get a second video card so that the LCD will be recognized; however, I'm wondering if there's a quicker and more cost effective way. I just want to have one desktop split between the two displays.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Drew

Specs:
    MacBook
    You would need to get a second video card. Some Macs like the Books and eMac and such will let you mirror the display, but if you want a true dual display you will need a second video card.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Echo_
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    You would need to get a second video card. Some Macs like the Books and eMac and such will let you mirror the display, but if you want a true dual display you will need a second video card.

not true.. your graphx card can have 2 dvi or dsub outputs

Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew_Ty
    As the subject reads, I'm wondering if there is a splitter so that I can connect a second 17" Apple Studio Display to my Dual 1.25ghz PowerMac G4. I've briefly read that I need to get a second video card so that the LCD will be recognized; however, I'm wondering if there's a quicker and more cost effective way. I just want to have one desktop split between the two displays.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Drew
    I have the same comp as you...it has a dvi and adc ports in the back. I run dual monitors currently and run one on the dvi and the other through a dvi to adc connector. Connector was ~$30 when I got it at drbott.com in Jan. and a snap to configure They also have ADC to DVI to connect a second apple display.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_
    not true.. your graphx card can have 2 dvi or dsub outputs
    My bad, I was not aware that there was two DVI outputs on the Dual G4.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    My bad, I was not aware that there was two DVI outputs on the Dual G4.
    well, on mine there is one DVI and one ADC input...if you already have a Apple Display using the ADC port, then for a second Apple one you'll need the ADC to DVI adapter Dual displays rock

Quote Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
    well, on mine there is one DVI and one ADC input...if you already have a Apple Display using the ADC port, then for a second Apple one you'll need the ADC to DVI adapter Dual displays rock
    Thanks for all the replies...but I'm still a little confused. I was under the idea that because (and maybe I didn't make this clear) I already have one 17" Apple Studio Display, I would need to get a DVI to ADC adapter and not a ADC to DVI adapter.

I looked on the back of my G4, and yes there are two but of course the ADC is being used by my current Apple Display, but since I want a second Apple Display, wouldn't I need a DVI to ADC adapter?

Lol, yep, just a little confused but can be easily helped, hehe.

Thanks everyone,

Drew

Specs:
    i guess its which way you reference - display to comp or comp to display. Theyre the same device DVI to ADC/ADC to DVI

Quote Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
    i guess its which way you reference - display to comp or comp to display. Theyre the same device DVI to ADC/ADC to DVI
    See, that's what I thought but even when I check the apple store it gave me both of these links, one for DVI to ADC and vice versa.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....6.25.7.11.0.3

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....6.25.7.11.1.3

Which one? lol...I bet its the more expensive one, right?

untoastytoast
    Even if you can get the two studio displays to work, it won't look that great will it, because there is a large gap between the edge of the monitor and where the picture begins.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew_Ty
    See, that's what I thought but even when I check the apple store it gave me both of these links, one for DVI to ADC and vice versa.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....6.25.7.11.0.3

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....6.25.7.11.1.3

Which one? lol...I bet its the more expensive one, right?
    I betcha you're right...the expensive one looks like the one you'd need. The monitors I have are Dell w/DVI going into the ADC. All it has to do is not accept the power through the port - the monitor has its own power from the wall. The Apple display has it in the cord so you've gotta separate power from signal - power adapter to wall, other cord to computer. I think thats why apple put dual DVIs in the G5... cuz it was a pain in the ***

Thread Information