New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Alesis TapeLink USB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Patt

Patt is on a distinguished road

I hope I've chosen the correct Thread for my question.

I want to purchase a device that will allow me to transfer my audio cassettes to digital > CD. The Alesis TapeLink USB looks good in that it can be dubbed at a fast speed. If anyone knows about this or any other Cassette Deck to USB I sure would like to have your input.

Patt
QUOTE Thanks
Patt

No message, I clicked when I shouldn't have.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I use my old Aiwa tape deck, audacity/audio hijack pro and an Edirol UA1 EX USB interface, through a pre amp.
The Alesis looks like a good machine, and they are generally a good company for electronics.
I'm not sure that high speed dubbing is to be recommended though, not when you are essentially converting the sound format.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Patt

Your Aiwa tape deck sounds good, how did it work? Not really knowing what audacity/audio hijack pro and an Edirol UA1 EX USB interface, through a pre amp means. I'm not even sure if you are talking about one or two different devices, sorry .

It just occurred to me that I don't need high speed dubbing, I'm trying to get rid of my cassettes, not make new ones. I had though wrongly that the high speed dubbing would allow me to upload at a faster speed.

I see the Ion Tape2PC USB Cassette Deck but again, it has a dubbing feature I don't need. I know I can hook up my cassette player and let the audio feed into the Mac via the headphone plug in/microphone, but of course, I don't have any controls to know when it has finished other than QT stops capturing, and it pretty much ties up my Mac.

I've been told that a proper cassette converter will take out the long lead-in that most audio cassettes have, what about the spaces between songs, is there any way to separate the songs via software automatically, meaning I don't have to cut all the songs into separate songs via video software, which is what I have done in the past and it's very time consuming.

I know I'm pushing the envelope here but...

Is there a VCR plus Audio Cassette converter out there, one device doing both conversions? Don't want much, do I?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Ok. Firstly, avoid the Ion, it's dreadful!

To accurately record cassette to MP3 or whatever other format you choose, you really need software like Audacity, because you need to be able to split tracks. Audacity is free, but a little limited, and won't save natively as MP3.
Audio Hijack Pro will, but it costs (not much).
The Alesis comes with Audaciity and also Soundsoap, which is very good indeed. It does make me wonder if it's not just a re-badged Ion though, they offer a similar package. If it is... Ugh!

You can record from a normal tape deck through your line in, with a splitter cable BUT, your recording volume will be almost non existent without a pre-amp. The Alesis/Ion obviously have one built in.

The set up I use is 3 different components plus software, and I went that route because my tape deck was an expensive one that I could use. I needed the other bits for vinyl rips anyway. Total cost of components was around £100.

I hope that helps a little, if you need any more advice I'll be willing to help. I have a lot of experience doing this kind of thing.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Patt

Well, I am working at educating myself. I found a tutorial which helped me understand how the software would be working. Unfortunately, the software was for PC only.

I researched CD Spin Dr. and because I am still using Tiger I would have to stick to CD Spin Dr. 3 or 4. I found Audacity 1.3.9 which is for 10.4 or later, but since it is a Beta version, and not quite finished, I'm wondering if I have the wrong Audacity version. How say you?

You say I will need a pre-amp, I kind of know what that is, basically, it's a power booster, I think. My very old Mac speakers have RCA input and a large inline square object that I think is a pre-amp (also an electrical plug-in). If I can find a deck with RCA output and connect it to the RCA input on the speakers with it's head phone output into my Mac microphone input, would that work in the same way a pre-amp works?

I'm beginning to think that an old fashioned cassette deck with RCA out put RCA plugs might be better than buying special deck, especially as you suggested, it's the software that does the real work.

I'm getting there little by little. If you please, feel free to keep directing me.

Thanks for you time and sharing your experience.

Patt
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Later today I will give you some links to what you need if you are going to use your own deck, it'll be better and cheaper than shelling out on the Alesis.

QUOTE Thanks
Patt

Thanks, I am very interested.

Patt
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Ok, you have your deck with it's standard phono outputs, which, as I said before, you could connect direct to the Mac via a split line in cable, But you would have no volume and a downmixed stereo signal, not good.
Therefore, the best way is to get a phono pre-amp. I use the 750 LC here:

Phonopreamps.com Home Page

This is then connected to the Mac with a USB interface, which gives you recording quality options right up to 96000Khz/24 Bit (which creates BIG files!) The one I use is:

EDIROL UA-1EX USB Audio Interface :: Overview

Software wise I use Audio Hijack Pro:

Rogue Amoeba | Audio Hijack Pro: Record any audio on Mac OS X

$32 for a brilliant bit of software that allows you to do more than just this including hijacking audio from web sites etc.

All in that lot should cost you $120 max, less if you get a used Edirol from eBay.
Your own tape deck is going to be way better than the Alesis/Ion, so this would be the way to go if you are serious about doing this well.
Also, you will be all set up for vinyl ripping.

I hope that's of interest.

QUOTE Thanks
Patt

Wow, thanks a lot for your information. Since I don't have a tape deck, I was looking at this one, would I be duplicating any thing should I connect what you suggested to this deck?
QUOTE Thanks
Patt

Opps, forgot to mention this deck I found on Ebay, of course, it's up for auction. This has a Linear Phase Recording Amp included.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Avoid the Grace thing - hideous.
For around $60 you should be able to get a very good Teac, like the one you show, or maybe even a Nakamichi, easily the best tape decks ever made.

QUOTE Thanks
Patt

Thank, Kevriano,

I appreciate your guidance, this is a whole new area for me. The Teac has the LINEAR PHASE RECORDING AMP, but since you didn't comment,do I still need the TC-750LC TC-750LC Phono Preamp?

Patt
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patt View Post
Thank, Kevriano,

I appreciate your guidance, this is a whole new area for me. The Teac has the LINEAR PHASE RECORDING AMP, but since you didn't comment,do I still need the TC-750LC TC-750LC Phono Preamp?

Patt
Sorry my bad. I don't think you will, no, but I can't be 100% sure.
Phase Linear amps were specific amps built with virtually eliminating distortion in mind. Whether the TEAC has this in built as a small, low powered amp to eliminate tape distortion when recording (my best guess that it is) is unknown really. It may be that it doesn't have enough oomph (technical term ) to give you good volume when recording to the Mac, in which case you need the pre-amp.
Just one thing I thought of, if you have a standard stereo amp or home cinema amp, you could use that instead.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I need a new mouse | external hdd fat32 to ntfs on a macbook »