New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Need new budget scanner (sub-$80)...recommendations?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macforums

My UMAX Astra 2000U doesn't seem to work with OSX, and I want to upgrade my flatbed scanner.

I don't scan slides, but I do value a good, non-glitchy interface and good images (of course).

I'm flummoxed by the variety of models. Which models would you recommend? (It's alright if they're not one of the spanking new models.)

Thanks!

neye:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I was not able to use my Umax Astra 3400 scanner until I download VueScan. That application my give you a little more life out of your old scanner while you look for a new one.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

i know the threads old, but my gf is giving me a Umax3400 scanner....rMan, how does it work? good? any problems?

what about the twain import on photoshop?

EDIT: can this thiing scan film/slides with USABLE results?

even if not, hey, its free, i cant complain

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks
aeiou

aeiou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram

try a canon lide 60
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeiou
try a canon lide 60
I second this suggestion... If anybody reading this is looking for a new cheap scanner... I actually have the LiDe 35. Canon makes great little scanners.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

guys the post if 4months old lol im willing to bet he found something

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

I'm sure he did too. I just saw the mention of the Canons and thought I would back that comment up. I have only used one UMAX before and it was completely broken when I got it... So I can't really help there.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Treo 650 Blackberry Palm Lifedrive or Something else? | Machintosh SE probelm! »